Level 1
10 9 0 0
Message 1 of 25
Flag Post

Windows 8 t520 Thin client failures / consistent crashes

HP Recommended
t520 thin client
Microsoft Windows 8 (32-bit)

Multiple t520 Windows 8 thin clients have repeatedly failed. Meaning occasionally when a user will boot up the device it will present a Blue Screen of Death recovery screen- " System needs to be repaired". This has happened on 6 or 7 of our windows 8 thin clients. In order to even get past the BSOD we have to re-flash with HP's stock windows 8 image.

However, the issue is not occurring on our windows 7 thin clients of the same make and model. Only the Windows 8 devices. HP support has not been very helpful or synpatheic, we even sent a couple back to HP to re-image and they also fail again when placed back in production.

Is anyone else having this issue with their Windows 8 t520 thin clients? My best idea is to roll back these machines to windows 7, however HP does not offer a solution to roll the devices down to 7 from 8.

24 REPLIES 24
Keith_TC
Level 3
21 21 2 4
Message 2 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The t520 Thin Client does not support Windows 8 32-bit, so I am assuming you mean WES8 64-bit. 

There is a recently updated WES8 image for this platform and I'm told it resolves a BSOD issue.  If you want to try it, download and install the ThinUpdate tool Softpaq from the t520 drivers page.  You can install ThinUpdate on any Windows PC connected to the Internet.  It will download the image and build a bootable USB key (if you're not familiar with the tool.) 

Look for the images with the + symbol. 

ThinUpdate.JPG

--Keith

Weisbrod
Author
Level 1
10 9 0 0
Message 3 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks Keith, This looks promising. Did not realize there was a new image released in September. We have flashed a couple of our devices but only time will tell whether or not it is a real solution.

I can't find any release notes related to this new image. So I'm curious about where you heard it resolves the BSOD issue, do you have any recources on that?

0 Kudos
Keith_TC
Level 3
21 21 2 4
Message 4 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Let us know if the new image helps. 

I cannot reveal my sources.  🙂  Seriously, though, I haven't seen it in writing but a colleague told me that another company said it fixed their BSOD issue.

0 Kudos
Ericstl
Level 1
9 9 0 0
Message 5 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

We are having exactly the same issue as described.

Can annyone confirm that the new image resolves the issue?

Or better yet, has a fix been released that we could apply to our existing master image?

0 Kudos
Weisbrod
Author
Level 1
10 9 0 0
Message 6 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sorry to report that this did not resolve the issue, we tried on a couple machines and they both were hit with blue screens.

0 Kudos
Ericstl
Level 1
9 9 0 0
Message 7 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ok thanks for the heads up... I'll open a case with HP support and will report back if I make any break throughs...

Have you had any luck on your end?

We're averaging one dead Thin client every week that we need to re-image. (12 so far)... we've gotten 250+ of these units, which have been mostly rolled out. sufice to say, this is starting to worry the managment...

0 Kudos
Weisbrod
Author
Level 1
10 9 0 0
Message 8 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

No luck on our end. We didn't get as many as you and have essentially just been biting the bullet and replacing the thin clients with the good OS as they die, instead of re-imaging.

0 Kudos
Weisbrod
Author
Level 1
10 9 0 0
Message 9 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey Eric, did you ever find a solution to the BSOD problem? Trying to pick this up again over here.

0 Kudos
Ericstl
Level 1
9 9 0 0
Message 10 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

We've made a new corporate branded thin client image based on the updated image downloaded from HP as you've mentioned at the begining of this thread. Our helpdesk are re-imaging the thin clients when they find one that has blue screened.  We're tracking the ones that have been newly imaged to see if they blue screen again....

Sadly not much changes from our side. He have not received any reports of any imaged thin clients (with the new image) crashing again... but as your experiences have shown, I expect we may have some still crash on us...

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation