jmx247
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Windows OS on SAS drive

HP Recommended
Z240
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
The drive for my z240 was starting to go bad, so I duplicated it onto a SAS drive because that's all I had available. The z240 won't boot or see the drive, is there a setting in the bios I need to change or a possible driver I need to install.
1 REPLY 1
DGroves
Level 11
4,488 4,471 407 937
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

the z240 unlike the bigger models (640/840) only supports SATA (no SAS)

to use your SAS drive as a boot or data drive you will need to install a SAS/SATA pci-e card that supports booting

http://h20195.www2.hp.com/V2/GetPDF.aspx/4AA6-1449ENW      (read page 11)

i would recomend a dell Perc series card such as the perc 310 which can be found on ebay for around 40.00

note that any card will also require the drive connector cable(s)

for the 310 you need  a (SFF-8470) Mini-SAS to 4x SATA Forward Breakout Cable

To make it simple, if the host-controller side is a SAS connector (SFF-8470) and the target side is SATA drives then you must always use a SAS to SATA Forward Breakout Cable

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation