Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

Is there anywhere i can read about standard Workstation CPU Temperatures?

I own a Z600 xeon x5650's  and experience 60/70c Idle and 80c+ Max load.

These temperatures seem high compared to a desktop CPU temps... do workstations just run hotter than desktop CPU's?

Any information will be a help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I ran stress tests on some HP workstations, with CPUs that have high core counts.  All cores were running at 100%.  The max temperatures were in the low 80's (deg. C), and temps depended on the particular CPU, but all cores were between 11 and > 20 degrees lower than the Tj max spec for each CPU.  There is a core-to-core variance, and most were closer to 20 deg. C below Tj max.  Some systems ran cooler than others (typically the 8xx series ran a few degrees cooler). 

So, high-power Workstation CPUs can run at 60/70 deg. idle, and 80's at full CPU loads are typical and well within Intel's specifications.  I would not worry about this at all. 

I am an HP Employee.
My opinions are my own, and do not express those of HP.

Please click "Accept as Solution" if you problem was solved. This helps other forum readers.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Workstation CPUs can run hotter than some desktop CPUs, depending on the specific CPUs being compared.  Some Workstation CPUs are rated at 145W or more, which is a lot. 

The X5650 processor is a 95W part, so it is not very high power.  What temperature monitoring program are you using?  Does it list a Tj (maximum junction temperature) for this processor, or "Distance to Tj Max"?  Xeons have a pre-programmed Tj maximum, which varies from one CPU to another.  As long as the core temperature is below Tj max, ths system will be OK.  For example, my Z800 dual X5672 3.2GHz system has CPUs with a Tj max of 102 deg. C, and it runs below that. 

I just ran Prime95 on my system, and CPU Usage went to 100%.  After ~20 minutes, the max temp of the cores was 86, 85, 82, 81 (CPU0) and 84, 83, 80, 77 (CPU1).  These are still 16 deg. or more below Tj max, so I am not worried about it.  (I measured the temp with RealTemp, Core Temp, and and HP utility). 

Did you replace the CPUs or remove the heatsinks?  If so, Intel recommends reapplying thermal paste (but not too much) every time the CPU heatsinks are removed, since the paste dries out and does not work as well the second time (according to them).  But your temps seem in line with 100% CPU usage.

I am an HP Employee.

Please click "Accept as Solution" if you problem was solved. This helps other forum readers.
HP Recommended

I ran stress tests on some HP workstations, with CPUs that have high core counts.  All cores were running at 100%.  The max temperatures were in the low 80's (deg. C), and temps depended on the particular CPU, but all cores were between 11 and > 20 degrees lower than the Tj max spec for each CPU.  There is a core-to-core variance, and most were closer to 20 deg. C below Tj max.  Some systems ran cooler than others (typically the 8xx series ran a few degrees cooler). 

So, high-power Workstation CPUs can run at 60/70 deg. idle, and 80's at full CPU loads are typical and well within Intel's specifications.  I would not worry about this at all. 

I am an HP Employee.

HP Recommended

Thanks Dan! I thought i had no luck with this thread as i didnt get any email responses..

I've attached an screenshot of my idle temps( I think this was running idle for about an hour) you can see it peaks at 72 degrees on some cores (Max.) I dont quite understand the fluctuation of temps when idle.. not even a mouse click during the hour i left it, i thought it would stay around 50/60's but occasionally shoots up for no reason. As you can see the Tj. Max is 96 degrees so as you described im still 16 degrees lower than Tj max , when hitting 80 degrees on full load.

I did replace the thermal paste with artic silver 5 about a month ago , I thought the temps were high due to dried up TIM.. but hasn't had a huge improvement in temps. Which naturally made me think that Xeons/workstations just run hotter than conventional Cpus/Desktops. But thanks very much for taking the time to confirm this for me! its really appreciated. I got very paranoid about my Temps.. :smileyhappy:

I think i will only worry once it gets close to 96 degrees. I did think of upgrading the heatsinks.. or even getting a closed loop liquid cooling solution. The only issue is HP z*** series doesn't really have enough space in the towers for upgrading without cutting holes in the side.. which i really dont want to do.

Could you sugguest any heatsinks which would be better than the stock HP heatsinks which would fit?

Sorry for the essay, you're the only person on several forums who's given a decent answer!

& Thanks for taking the time to run some tests! Most appreciated!

HP Recommended

Your system is OK.  Some HP Workstations offer liquid cooling, but not on the Z600.  If the fan speed is increased, the CPUs might run cooler, but then the system noise will increase.  HP designs Workstations to meet cooling and reliability requirements, but also to keep the fans from spinning too fast so the system are quieter.  I do not have any advice for upgraded heatsinks or how to increase fan speeds manually.  There are some highly technical and clever people on this forum who might have some advice, but as an HP employee, I cannot recommend any other mods.

Workstation CPUs are hotter, mostly because they have more cores than desktops and are designed to push the CPU's thermal limits.  Consider how Intel's turbo boost works.  To simplify, the limits on a CPU's performance, and life, are determined by the maximum temperature that the CPU die can get.  The faster the processor, and the more cores there are, the more heat there is but also the more overall performance.  There is a maximum CPU temperature that Intel does not want to exceed, but getting to that temperature depends on how many cores are running and their speed.  For example, if only one core is running, Intel can boost the frequency several steps higher (using more power/heat), or if all cores are running, the cores will run at the lower (usually the rated) speed.  It is a tradeoff between speed/power/cores, but all of this is kept below Intel's thermal envelope.  That is why one can buy a 3.4+ GHz 4 core CPU, but the 12 core versions are only rated at ~2.8 GHz (numbers used as an example only), because speed and active cores are a thermal tradeoff. 

This means that Intel is now using the thermal limits of the die, in order to get higher performance.  This is why you are measuring higher temps under load with your Z600 than what most desktops will have. 

Bottom line:  One can have a 1 GHz 2 core CPU and run it very cool (think mobile applications), but Workstation users want high performance CPUs.  Intel knows the thermal limit of each CPU (Tj max) and purposely runs the CPU at higher temps to get higher performance.  There are some users that cool CPUs with liquid nitrogen to keep the Tj down, and thereby getting insane speeds, but that is, well, insane.  😉

Does this make you feel better? 

I am an HP Employee.

HP Recommended

Much Better! Thanks alot for taking the time to explain it as well!

I changed my Power Settings in W7 to 'balanced' instead of 'High Performance'.. which hopefully will help it out a bit but no quite sure how much of an effect it will have.

I also upped my Fan speed by  a notch in the Bios settings which doesn't make huge difference with the noise but should help idle temps.

I understand you cant advise on upgrading heatsinks, cheers anyway. Ive asked on few forums so yet to make a decision, Its always a risk with upgrading from stock as you never really know how much cooler new heatsinks will be. My only Issue is the z600 weren't really designed for custom upgrades being a modular setup.

Would love a closed loop liquid cooling solution, from what i've read its the best way to go!? I did read HP have got LC for their workstations but annoyingly not for z600, would it be possible to make it fit? The rear fans/rad look to be similar size to z600 rear fans. Just wouldn't be able to fit the black surround to it. Z800 LC

Thanks Again Dan!

HP Recommended

"I own a Z600 xeon x5650's and experience 60/70c Idle and 80c+ Max load."

The key word here is "Idle". I, too, have Z600. Two of them and both have dual X5650. When ambient temperature is around 20C they both have idle temperatures between 28-30C. When turbo is off and all 24 threads are working, so that the processors run 100% of time and 99% of max frequency, the temperatures rise to about 70-74C.

Your idle temperatures are completely off and you should check if there is some type of malware on your computer. Maybe you're involuntarily mining bitcoins for someone else : ) Either your temperature readings are wrong or the load readings are false. Did you allow the processors to cool before you measured? Also check how many Watt your computer is using while idle. Mine duals each have a small discrete graphic card and the computers need about 115W idle and 290W on full CPU load (graphic card idle).

So don't listen to the HP people when they write that everything is just fine and dandy. It's not. Far from it.

Now I would like to draw everyone's attention to my problem. Read and help if you can.

/t5/Workstations-z-series-xw-series/I-want-to-run-a-Z800-workstation-without-a-graphics-card/m-p/668...

Here is a link to Dell, in case you get tired of waiting for a constructive HP response. I personally think HP's customer service is less than stellar.

http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/workstations?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&~ck=mn

DELL, when hp falls short.

HP Recommended

Cheers for the reply z600headlessnow,

'Did you allow the processors to cool before you measured?'

Yeh I basically left it off for the day, booted up then gave it a few mins then checked temps. No programs running apart from startups and services. I used core temp to get my temps, and the ambient temp in the room was about 23C.

'When turbo is off and all 24 threads are working'

So do you have Intel Turbo Boost Technology and Enhanced Intel Turbo Boost Technology disabled in your bios? with hyper-threading on. I just recently updated the bios with no effect to temps, but im a noob with Bios settings. All of the above are enabled on my build.

'Also check how many Watt your computer is using while idle. '

How do you got about checking this?  Will check and let you know, I have quadro 4000 so I assume its eating some wattage, its a big graphics card.

'some type of malware on your computer'

Was a good shout, run full scan and picked up a few virus's but nothing affecting temps or CPU's.

I think i might format windows soon and then if temps are still bad, i know its hardware or Bios related. I'm thinking of updraging the heatsink and fans but as you probably know they're not standard sizes due to the tower layout. Plus the cpu fans have 5-pin connectors! so upgrading sucks! Have you done any upgrades to yours?

HP Recommended

"So do you have Intel Turbo Boost Technology and Enhanced Intel Turbo Boost Technology disabled in your bios? with hyper-threading on. "

Yes.

"How do you got about checking this?"

Try this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=plug-in%20power%20met...

Or this if you live in the US:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_st_price-asc-rank?fst=as%3Aoff&keywords=plug-in+power+meter&qid=14216...

Just plug in the computer's power cord into one of these meters and then plug the meter into the wall outlet.

"Was a good shout, run full scan and picked up a few virus's but nothing affecting temps or CPU's."

Scans are only 100% accurate when detecting known signatures. Check how much power you are using while idling, and if it's over 125W, and you can't find the reason, you should probably consider reinstalling the operating system (from a CD, not from the HDD's partion that contains the original image for resetting the OS). If you don't have a CD, HP will send you one for free. And don't forget to backup your files before you reinstall, but don't load them onto the new OS until you've checked the temperatures while idling. If the computer was infected then the malware could be present in your personal files.

One more thing. My browser, IE, sometimes gets stuck on certain web pages so that all processor cores are running 100%, even while the pages are static. It has to do with certain scripts some pages have and the settings I've chosen for my browser. When that happens I usually move the URL into the browser's unsafe zone, which solves the problem. So, if you're idling, do it with the browser turned off.

"Have you done any upgrades to yours?"

No, but I'm going to replace the CPU0 fan, because that processor is constantly 5C higher than CPU1. It seems the CPU-fans are running at 1000rpm, so I'll buy M8-P:

http://www.blacknoise.com/site/en/products/noiseblocker-it-fans/nb-multiframe-series/80x80x25mm.php?...

It runs at 2000 rpm and has individually removable corners. This is important because one of the pins for the processor heat sink bracket is in the way of fans that are deeper than 15mm, and this one is 25mm. Deeper fans are better because they have higher air pressure. This fan has 4 pins and should work, but can possibly cause a POST-failure, since the fan's header on the motherboard is 5-pin. This, however, should be possible to bypass by pressing F1. Annoying? Yes!

Try also to change the power settings in the control panel, from high performance to balanced, but I don't think this will mitigate your problem. Good luck.

HP Recommended

Ok I will try turning off Intel Turbo Boost Technology in bios and see if it makes a difference. I was doing some tests recently and had Hyper threading off and temps improved which would be obvious.. but will have to way up temps over performance.

Cheers for the links dude, I'm in uk so apreciate you getting the link. They're not too expensive so will probably get one when i get paid and let you know. They look like handy things to have anyway.

I'm defintely going to do fresh OS install. Like you've mentioned, its going to eliminate any possibility of software/malware causing high temps and its been a while since I did a fresh OS install (I will record temps before and after).  I've actually got another thread going at the moment about upgrading my HDD to an SSD, so i can kill two birds with one stone.. but as usual, it turns out its not so straight forward.

I'm thinking of installing Windows 7 via a iso from MS site and burning to a CD. Like you say it wont be from partition and it wont be a HP disk either (so will be without HP extra's). I've backed up the drivers via some software which I cant remember name off (I'm at work so cant find out). So i'm hoping there wont be any issues. Plus I'm not wiping my current HDD at the moment, so if it all goes wrong I can swap the ssd back to my current HDD.

'I'm going to replace the CPU0 fan, because that processor is constantly 5C higher than CPU1. It seems the CPU-fans are running at 1000rpm, so I'll buy M8-P'

Yeh i noticed the same thing on mine, I read up that CPU0 always runs hotter thant CPU1. I'm not sure as to why this happens, there was a sugguestion about it being the first CPU it loads from :/. I also tried removing the RAM cover as it slightly covers the back of the CPU heatsink (on the right of MB).The CPU's still had an offset in temps, so I dont think its Fans.. its just how it is.

I also considered the tower layout, how the CPU/heatsink on the right will kick hot air straight into the other CPU/heatsink (left on the MB) - The tower layout is not the best for airflow.

I also looked into getting quieter fans like yourself and found out about the 5-pin connector header. If you open your case you can see there is only 4 cables going into the connectors themselves. I think the pin layout is also different, so may need swapping around. Found this 5 pin converter which may help.

I checked the fan specs currently in the z600 and they're server/workstation fans so have a much higher CFM than consumer fans. The best spec from the noiseblocker link you posted is the m8-3 which has a 59 m3/h = 34.73 CFM and from what i found in the z600 stock fans are around 70 CFM which are alot higher in terms of airflow. So you will see/hear improvement in sound but your temps may suffer.. (This is just my assumption though) If you get round to doing this I would love to hear the results.

I have given up with trying to upgrade the z600 for time being, apart from ssd. Its the biggest pain in the ass figuring out if new hardware will fit, work or improve the z600. Theres always problems with compatability compared to a custom built desktop/workstation. It's something i didnt consider when i brought it... but you live an learn.

'Try also to change the power settings in the control panel, from high performance to balanced, but I don't think this will mitigate your problem'

Yeah i've fiddled with these settings a few times and have it on balanced at the moment.

Sorry for the MEGA POST! :smileywink:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.