Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Workstation Z640
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi folks,

One of our HP Workstation Z640 drops network connection occasionally, maybe a few times a day. It's also somewhat reluctant to connect to network shares after startup.

I have tried to change switch ports, and also ethernet cables to the switch. I have also made all BIOS, firmware, and driver updates. As a last resort, I plugged in a real cheapo, noname Realtek NIC in a PCIe slot. With the new NIC, the network shares come up directly after login, and there don't seems to be any drop outs.

We have got another identical Z640 workstation, that doesn't display those problems.

I would be grateful if somebody has got any ideas about possible ways to solve it.

Best regards,

Peter

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

I think we need some more information from your system to evaluate what the problem might be.
Windows 10 provides quite good info about the network connection in the "Event Viewer".
Open Event Viewer and go to:

Applications and Services Logs/Microsoft/Windows/NetworkProfile and open the profile. Look for EventId 4004  "Network State Change Event". Maybe you'll see what's wrong straight away...

Otherwise, Use your rig with the ethernet connected to the sketchy port and take a look at the logs when the connection has been dropped a couple of times and see if you can get any info from that.

Hiatus

Ps. Have you been messing around with anything network related in your system or does it run on the factory settings?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.