Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Workstation Z600
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Hi!

Last day I tried to upgrade my workstation z600.
I used it with dual xeon x5647 130 W TDP processors, but when I change them to dual x5690, the pc did not start because "A processor requirig too much power is installed. System halted."
So I don't understand it... I thought if I buy a same 130 W TDP processor, there isn't be any problem...
So what is the problem? How can run the x5647 130W tdp processor, if the x5690 130W tdp processor can't?
What should I do?

Thanks the answers in advance.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You can read more on this issue in the forum.... just because a processor "should" work does not mean it will work with these HP workstations.  Built into the BIOS is a "microcode" listing of approved processors and the processors not on the list won't work.  I'm sure this is close to the truth and it may be a bit simplistic, but there are only a few cases we know of in which a processor never listed in the QuickSpecs for a workstation will work. 

It might be that whatever is used for identifying a processor can be used by Intel for more than one processor, and that might be why a few exceptions exist.

One exemption that will frustrate you is that the X5690 was never listed as an approved processor by HP for the Z400 version 2 (later boot block date in BIOS and 6 instead of 4 memory slots).... yet it will work just fine.  You will not get the X5690 to ever work on a Z600.... there are numerous posts in here about that.  It will work in a version 2 Z800... it is in the QuickSpecs for that workstation.  In contrast, every Z400 version 2 workstation I have tried an X5690 in has worked just fine.  Typing on one right now.

Many need more speed than more cores.... as a higher end upgrade for your version 2 Z600 you might wish to get 2 X5672 or if you need more cores you might want the X5675 instead.  I tend to like the higher speed of the X5672 because of the software we run.  Here is a QuickSpec that shows those:

https://content.etilize.com/User-Manual/1019458200.pdf

Find the very latest QuickSpec for the Z600 you can and use that for reference.  Note that your current processors are not able to run the fastest memory that both the X5672 and X5675.  That is a significant benefit.  I only get processors that can run the fastest, and load all 6 slots with identical HP RAM bought used from eBay.  

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

You can read more on this issue in the forum.... just because a processor "should" work does not mean it will work with these HP workstations.  Built into the BIOS is a "microcode" listing of approved processors and the processors not on the list won't work.  I'm sure this is close to the truth and it may be a bit simplistic, but there are only a few cases we know of in which a processor never listed in the QuickSpecs for a workstation will work. 

It might be that whatever is used for identifying a processor can be used by Intel for more than one processor, and that might be why a few exceptions exist.

One exemption that will frustrate you is that the X5690 was never listed as an approved processor by HP for the Z400 version 2 (later boot block date in BIOS and 6 instead of 4 memory slots).... yet it will work just fine.  You will not get the X5690 to ever work on a Z600.... there are numerous posts in here about that.  It will work in a version 2 Z800... it is in the QuickSpecs for that workstation.  In contrast, every Z400 version 2 workstation I have tried an X5690 in has worked just fine.  Typing on one right now.

Many need more speed than more cores.... as a higher end upgrade for your version 2 Z600 you might wish to get 2 X5672 or if you need more cores you might want the X5675 instead.  I tend to like the higher speed of the X5672 because of the software we run.  Here is a QuickSpec that shows those:

https://content.etilize.com/User-Manual/1019458200.pdf

Find the very latest QuickSpec for the Z600 you can and use that for reference.  Note that your current processors are not able to run the fastest memory that both the X5672 and X5675.  That is a significant benefit.  I only get processors that can run the fastest, and load all 6 slots with identical HP RAM bought used from eBay.  

HP Recommended
Thank you for your satisfying answer.
An another quesiton I have is that if my workstation has 48 (6x8) gb DDR3 RAM, 3x1 TB HDD, a GIGABYTE GTX 1060 6 gb OC (min 400W power supply) and if I put dual Xeon X5672 processors, the Z600's 650W power supply will be enogh to run the system perfectly?
HP Recommended

You should be fine..... the top card in the HP QuickSpecs is the Quadro 5000 with 152W max TDP.  You can also download and read the power info in the Z600 technical and service manual.

HP Recommended
Thank you for your help!
HP Recommended

The Z600 power supply is very high quality, and rated to 650W.  Your card is specified to be fine with a 400 W and higher power supply.  Remember that video cards have come down in power needs at the same time that they have gone up in performance and amount of on-board VRAM.

Also, I have posted in here about the 6-wire PCIe supplemental power cable coming from the HP workstation power supplies for the high-end cards.  The amperage of that is 18.... well above the ATX standard that provides up to 75W via that path.

18 x 12 = 216 watts..... that is why one of those 6-wire cables can be split out to two 6-pin or even two 8-pin power ports for some of the high wattage cards that demand that.   All that is in here.

Don't worry.... be happy.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.