Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
XW8600 motherboard
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I know that this has probably been beaten to death in the past but: I have had to set my XW8600 project aside for a while but now it is back on track (I hope!).

I have made all the changes I can find  however, one last item is left. My replacement PS is a Rosewill HIVE 1000S, 1000W unit with provisions for dual CPU's, I have modded a 6 pin PCIe extension for memory power per diagrams found on this website but have been unable to verify 24 pin (18+6) pinout for main board connector on the XW8600. Can anyone please tell me where to find this info? Is it a standard ATX format? I have pinout for the 1000W HIVE PS but not my XW8600 MoBo.

Regards and Happy Holidays!

Jay F.

Wisconsin

Jacques P. Fontaine
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

hp posts the power pinout in the xw8600 service manual, and it's recommended that things like this be determined BEFORE starting a system mod

as i recall, the pinout is mostly axt compliant with several xw8600 pins being different

pins (4/12/18/ 23 no connect leave empty)

pin 20 ps/ID

the critical pin is #20 on the 8600 as on the atx pinout it's -5 volts so you need to remove this pin, and connect a ground wire for a 1000 watt supply or leave empty if 850 watt supply

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-xw8600-workstation/3432827/manuals

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/psg/attachments/psg/Audio/292168/3/xw8600%20tech%20manual%20v5.pdf

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

hp posts the power pinout in the xw8600 service manual, and it's recommended that things like this be determined BEFORE starting a system mod

as i recall, the pinout is mostly axt compliant with several xw8600 pins being different

pins (4/12/18/ 23 no connect leave empty)

pin 20 ps/ID

the critical pin is #20 on the 8600 as on the atx pinout it's -5 volts so you need to remove this pin, and connect a ground wire for a 1000 watt supply or leave empty if 850 watt supply

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-xw8600-workstation/3432827/manuals

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/psg/attachments/psg/Audio/292168/3/xw8600%20tech%20manual%20v5.pdf

HP Recommended

Not to fear! Starting with all new (old) parts spread out on a large work bench for complete build (finally!)_{ I hope!)

Looked at links and for the life of me I cannot seem to find pages and illustrations indicting pinouts?

Power Supply I am attempting to use: Rosewill HIVE 1000S 1000W ATX/EPS12VPSU, dual CPU  compatible semi-modular unit,

I just want to compare pinouts against this unit.

Regards,

Jay F.

Wisconsin

Jacques P. Fontaine
HP Recommended

then your not looking very hard, the service manual index plainly states that all pinouts are in the service guides appendix section

HP Recommended

YEP! (Sorry, 75yr old brain fart 😉 )Egg on face: went back and looked again and did find! Thank you!

Jacques P. Fontaine
HP Recommended

Good morning all! I am up and running, but I find myself starting to go in a different direction and my needs have changed some what. My GTX970 4gb G1 will not "fill the bill", I need to look at Quadro cards. Have acquired from a "donner" an almost new pair of HP "24in "DreamColor" 30 bit color monitors. I need to go to Quadro cards but can't find info as to how new a card(s) I can use. Can anyone help me?

Regards,

jaybird

Jacques P. Fontaine
HP Recommended

in most "consumer" pre uefi bios motherboards you can not use newer video cards that are uefi enabled due to a bios bug that prevents the motherboard bios from selecting the legacy bios if the default uefi bios  can't be used

however the HP workstations do not have this bug, and as such will work with newer video cards i've used the nvidia 970 in my z800 system

the only limiting issues are the cards power draw and physical size your total video card power draw is determined by the installed power supply is it the stock 800 watt one or the 1050 watt one and the pci-e 2.0 buss

the 1050 watt supply will support a 180 watt video card (FX5600 was the high end video option)

and around 150 watts for the 800 watt supply

since theFX5600 is a much older card don't expect performance to equal the much newer 970 card

i personally would not install any newer card in such a older system, but if you do go this route stick to a quadro k4200 or a k2000 for high end and a quadro 4000 (no "K") for low end

cards like the 1080 and newer will be bottlenecked by the cpu(s) on the xw8600

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/quadro-4000.c898

HP Recommended

Thank you for your quick response! I was also able to find a refurbished server outlet that verified your recommendations regarding the K2000 series cards. 

System should be quite capable of doing its' "job requirements": XW8600 MoBo, modified Platinum PS (6 pin mod, 24 pin mod 1000W Platinum Plus Seasonic), 64 GB DDR2-PC5300 667Mhz ECC FBDIMM's, dual X5460's w/full pin mods @ 3.8Ghz, double-high "Performance" CPU coolers and, of course, dual K2200 4GB Quadro vid cards. The monitors include dual HP DreamColor 24" monitors, a Ugee 2150 HD pen-tablet-display (soon to be replaced by a Huion Kamvas 22" Plus deep color unit) topped off with a Samsung UN40MU6290 4K UHD HDR 4.4.4 color space TV (also soon to be replaced by a LG OLED 50" 4K TV). And finally, a recycled Creative Labs SB0460 7.1 card with SB0250 breakout box and a Cambridge DDT2500 sound system (also, all recycled!)

The system is designed to do several specific things but not including gaming!: High end color grading, professional photo editing, light 4K video editing and rendering plus creation of 4K digital fine art.

This may seem like a strange combination but being a "Green" person this allows me to keep a LOT of older stuff out of landfills, build a rock solid system (most people only use 10% of what their PC's are capable of anyway) as well as a learning experience and finally, being on a fixed income plus starting up a new business (at 75) it helps keep costs down, we will see how it goes. So far I have gotten into the BIOS and nosed round but didn't go any further pending arrival of dual K2200's.

This forum has been a real life-line for me, thank you all, will post as we progress!

Regards,

jaybird

Wisconsin

Jacques P. Fontaine
HP Recommended

you may want to consider a high performance usb 3 card which can deliver full usb 3 speeds on each port simultaneously

these cards are not cheap compared to the generic ones as they cost around 50/100.00 depending on number of ports but unlike the cheap 15.00 ones that are spec'd for pci-e 3.0 and only use a x1 slot for four shared ports, the high perf cards are  for the pci 2.0 bus and have  x4 connections and a "plx" chip

HP Recommended

OK, hate to be a pest but I do have another question. You indicated that I should consider a USB 3.0 adapter card, all I have seen so far are the cheap run of the mill (questionable?) cards. Also, where would I put it? Would I be using one of the three PCIe X8 slots? And is this then switched in the BIOS to X1 (spec's indicate "switchable between X1 and X8 electrically"?) Please understand, I am new to this board, just don't want or need any mistakes on my part!

Regards,

jay

Jacques P. Fontaine
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.