Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
XW8600

Hi All,

I have been gifted an XW8600, comes with dual processors , 1050 watt power supply and 128Gb ram but no hard disks.

I have fitted a 500Gb SATA drive to SATA 0 and its recognised in the bios , have a 4Gb usb stick (bootable Win 10 x64) but the system just flat refuses to boot from it.

I can press F9 select the usb and it jumps into trying a network boot.

I know these are a very old system but wondered if anyone had any advice ?

Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

if the linux key works, then the issue is not the xw8600 hardware, it's with the win 10 key itself you should check the HP site for bios updates and read the posted docs on the bios updates to see if any usb related issues were mentioned

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

first, set bios back to "FACTORY" defaults

re-create the bootable usb key using rufus

or from the MS win 10 site if you want to install win 10 x64 

you can either select the boot device one time on startup or permanently via the bios boot order

To boot one time from a device other than the default device specified in Boot Order, restart the workstation and press F9 when the F9=Boot Menu message appears on the screen. After POST completes, a list of bootable devices is displayed. Use the arrow keys to select the preferred bootable device and press Enter. The workstation then boots from the selected nondefault device for this one time.

https://support.hp.com/za-en/product/hp-xw8600-workstation/3432827/document/c01316837

once windows is installed, update bios to latest by using the DOS updater, do not try to update from within windows 10 as the updater may fail and brick the system (IE-corrupted bios)

HP Recommended

Hi

reset to factory defaults

new bootable usb key with win 10 created in with rufus

press f9  - choose usb key and it completely ignores it 

strangely I created a bootable linux usb key and that works, could it be windows 10 thats the issue ?

HP Recommended

if the linux key works, then the issue is not the xw8600 hardware, it's with the win 10 key itself you should check the HP site for bios updates and read the posted docs on the bios updates to see if any usb related issues were mentioned

HP Recommended

Hi -

It was indeed the usb key !! - 8Gb generic from Amazon didn't work (but did on a Lenovo laptop - go figure) changed for a 16Gb Sandisk Cruzer and it worked first time so apart from some raid software I am all sorted.

Many Thanks 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.