Level 1
5 3 0 1
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

XW9400 Opteron 24xx to 84xx swap question

HP Recommended
XW9400
Linux

OK so I have a bunch of DL585 (G4 and G5) servers we just pulled down and they all have opteron 83xx and 84xx chips in em -- What I'm wondering is: I also have a bunch of XW9400's that we also pulled down -- I'd like to part out the servers but re-use the CPU's from them in the xw9400's before I give them away (vets ONLY)

Since the voltages/fsb/socket are all the same ... will the 83xx and 84xx opterons work in the xw 9400's? _  I dont mind hacking the bios if need be (all are up to the latest stock bios at the moment )

Tags (2)
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 11
3,431 3,422 295 703
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

i doubt the xw9400 bios has microcode support for the 84xx series cpu's so installing such a cpu will result in a no boot condition

the hp xw line of workstations use a checksumed bios, due to this changes to the new bios using modding methods will result in a non valid checksum that will not be acepted during the update, resulting in a failed flash update and the bios stays at it's current revision

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10
1,967 1,922 177 558
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Look up xw9400 QuickSpecs with Google and you'll find different versions, but they all include a list of HP certified processors for that workstation.  I found some in the version 30 and higher, so that should be a pretty mature representatation of what was the best those workstations could handle.

Those are in the 2300 and 2400 series......

So, I doubt it.  Two ideas..... you have the box and the processor.  You could try it (make sure the socket/wattage are compatible).  Assuming that will not work you could just buy the approved processors used off eBay for very cheap, and fire them up that way.

Kudos to your support of our Vets.

Highlighted
Author
Level 1
5 3 0 1
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're probably right - I'm gonna just pop a couple in in the morning and see do I blow a machine up or not -- I know back in the IBM A-Pro days it was an "unauthorized mod" but we used to pop in pairs of 800 family chips if we had a server go down -- That's why i asked could it be done with the newer chips ...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10
1,967 1,922 177 558
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes.... that is still happening now.  For example, use of the X5690 in the version 2 Z400 workstations.  Never certified or supported by HP yet it works great (and will not work in a Z600 but will in a Z800.... go figure).

And, X5672 and X5675 from the version 2 Z600 working great in the version 2 Z400..... yet never certified by HP.  These unexpected bonus processors come up occasionally, and maybe you'll find one too.

Worth a try, and for a noble cause.  I wish I had more experience with the xw9400 to help you with.

Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation