Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Xw8600
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Good afternoon, I have been fortunate enough to get my hands on an xw8600 which from my understanding is a s775 motherboard. I was able to get high performance heatsinks gammaxx300 and although are not the oem , I have modded the heatsink clamps so that the fit the mobo. Thanks again for all the prior info but I have just one more question if I may.. Since the x5460's i bought are from a 771 mobo , do I still need to apply the mod stickers to run them on the board or are they just plug and play with this mother board. I did take what you said into consideration about getting the 5450 and the xw6600 but since i had already purchased the 5460's i tried getting a good deal on the mobo which luckily came through. Thanks again in helping me get through this journey.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

If you get the xw8600 QuickSpecs via a Google search you can look up any of the dual-core or quad-core processors for that motherboard and find that they all are LGA771 socket processors..... your X5460 is listed in those QuickSpecs and that is why they will work on your motherboard.

That is not a LGA775 motherboard.  Those tab things won't work on these HP motherboards.... the motherboard looks at the sSpec code of the processor, which you cannot change, and if it is not on the approved microcode list it won't fire up (there are some very rare exceptions).

You need to read up on my post on how to spoof the motherboard of a xw8600 to think that is has a "Performance" heatsink and fan, I believe, because it is my understanding that the motherboard can tell if you are running processor(s) that are 120W max TDP or hotter, and wants to see the higher performance double fan double tall heatsink over each of those processors.

It is all in the forum.... you'll need dig a bit.  You have the key words to search under now.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

If you get the xw8600 QuickSpecs via a Google search you can look up any of the dual-core or quad-core processors for that motherboard and find that they all are LGA771 socket processors..... your X5460 is listed in those QuickSpecs and that is why they will work on your motherboard.

That is not a LGA775 motherboard.  Those tab things won't work on these HP motherboards.... the motherboard looks at the sSpec code of the processor, which you cannot change, and if it is not on the approved microcode list it won't fire up (there are some very rare exceptions).

You need to read up on my post on how to spoof the motherboard of a xw8600 to think that is has a "Performance" heatsink and fan, I believe, because it is my understanding that the motherboard can tell if you are running processor(s) that are 120W max TDP or hotter, and wants to see the higher performance double fan double tall heatsink over each of those processors.

It is all in the forum.... you'll need dig a bit.  You have the key words to search under now.

HP Recommended
Much appreciated. Thanks
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.