Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
WORK STATION
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi there.......  I feel betrayed!  I paid $4000 4.5 years ago for my HP Workstation. I informed my sales/designer that I wanted a build to manage videography, in addition, to still images. She assured me that what I was purchasing would be the perfect build.  I leapt, and for more than four years now, I have had few issues. A recent purchase of a $400 suite of imaging and video software (ACDSee) has become a nightmare.  HP has assisted in BIOS updates, drivers, etc and the software company tech support (very knowledgeable) assisted in the install.  He examined the system's properties and found the card installed with the original build was/is "NVIDIA QUADRO K3200M.  The "M" stands for "mobile."  This card, he indicated for me, is now six years old, which means it was well over a year old when I purchased my system.  The question, since this was to be my "forever answer" to my video processing needs, is, is there any recourse?  I cannot run the new software because that card does not contain sufficient memory.  I am asking this community first because HP tech is saying "oh well. Perhaps a new computer."  That was an off-hand comment with a promise to see if the card can be updated.... it cannot be.  If anyone can steer me to what is right, if there is recourse, or if, as they have said "oh well, go back to your old program," I will appreciate those thoughts very much.  I cannot afford to shell over another $4000 for a new computer. This was the one to last!     Thanks,  Susan

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

i'd like to point out a few things that i feel you have glossed over

1. the software package you are now trying to install most likely did not exist in its current form (or possibly not at all) 4 years ago and as such would be impossible to plan for compatibility with any system from any vender due to the multiple years involved

2. the quadro line of video cards are used in business environments where accuracy/ color reproduction is paramount, as such these cards have a much longer lifespan compared to consumer cards due to the video drivers needing to be certified/tested quite thoroughly before release both AMD Firepro and nVidia quadro cards follow this longer timeframe between new model releases is normal, so having a year old quadro card in a workstation when you bought it is not unusual in itself what i do find unusual is that you say that you bought a workstation, (and not a laptop) with a mobile video card installed what model HP workstation did you buy? was it a AIO ( all in one)

3. i can find no mention of a quadro k3200m on the nvidia web site or any other site so i can't confirm the cards specs, however the k3100m is most likely using the same hardware/ram with only GPU speeds being different and the k3100m is a 4gb video ram card which 4 years ago was quite a lot for any video card to have

4.  newer hardware is going to be required at some point no matter whose system you bought if you update the original shipped software or install new software getting 4.5 years of useful work/use out of a system is a bit above average as most companies replace hardware every 3/4 years

5. if you did previously buy a AIO system, but you now want/need to upgrade parts over it's time in use i recommend you skip all AIO systems and mini SFF systems and just look at desktop/tower systems as these last two form factors allow the most flexibility in upgrading

HP Recommended

Just an update for anyone interested.  HP has been WONDERFUL.  The tech working with me called the software vendor and they decided on a possible re-configuration of my system.  I have not had the time yet to work with their suggestions.  The point is that they have gone above and beyond as tech support and I want to correct my earlier frustration.  May still have the problem, however, I am aware that my system was created four eternal generations previous to the software I am running.  Thanks again for your response, Distinguished Professor.  I truly appreciated your valuable time.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.