Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z440 Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello Hp Community, I am upgrade my SSD drive NVMe  Samsung PM981 256GB with Z turbo Card G1 

with a new Samsung 970 Evo Plus and standard card adapter. I am wondering if anyone know about the temperature.

I have running this Z turbo g1 for last 3 months without any problem max high temperature of the ssd and Card is 

between 27 and 34 .  My question is if the Z turbo G1 didn't get any problem  why i should worry to get a card with fan or

heatsink pad on it? I have seen on you tube from workstations hp my pc running 970 evo plus with standard card from amazon

and work great. So i got this card and i am waiting for EVO plus,anyone know this card will be very hot? Or just the airflow will

take care about it? I have an 120mm USB fan and i can fit it close by or some.

Please any help or advice about it? Thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

the reality is that while most pci-e 3 ssd's  used in laptops should be cooled and ssd's in normal pc's really don't require it  all the bling heatsink makers produce heatsinks that are simple slabs of metal that cover the controller and nand flash

only the ssd controller requires heatsinking, not the nand memory

if you lower the nand memory below it's rated temp it will actually perform worse!

the ssd controller is what generates the heat and throttles if to hot, so if you want/need to cool a ssd use a small heatsink that only covers the ssd controller

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

the reality is that while most pci-e 3 ssd's  used in laptops should be cooled and ssd's in normal pc's really don't require it  all the bling heatsink makers produce heatsinks that are simple slabs of metal that cover the controller and nand flash

only the ssd controller requires heatsinking, not the nand memory

if you lower the nand memory below it's rated temp it will actually perform worse!

the ssd controller is what generates the heat and throttles if to hot, so if you want/need to cool a ssd use a small heatsink that only covers the ssd controller

HP Recommended

Thanks for all advice now is much clear about it. Infact you already help me with older Pc Z620 and apple ssd nvme with adapter and was work perfect without any issuses and never seen the temperature up to 32 degree, about the same with

PM981 nvme and Z turbo G1 did work for 2 Months without issues the temperature between 27 to 34 no more.

So defo i will get some heatsink for it to make sure all good. 

Thanks a lot you are the best here.

Have nice weekend  🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.