Al_S
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 1
Flag Post

Z2 G4 loses Linux disk when boot order changed

HP Recommended
Z2 G4
Linux

I'm having a possibly different problem installing Ubuntu 18.4 on a second disk in a Z2 G4. There are many threads on this forum and on Ask Ubuntu about problems installing 18.4 on the Z2, but the ones I have found don't address this problem.The install goes cleanly, using the install mode that allows specification of which disks and partitions are to be used.  The boot loader is installed on the second disk, not the Windows disk.  This Ubuntu installation is added into the BIOS boot menu using the name "Ubuntu." There is also an entry in the boot menu for the disk containing the new install. Linux boots cleanly using the Ubuntu entry in the menu.  I can power cycle, boot either Linux (default after the install), or Windows (using the F9 boot menu).

However, I would like to make Windows the default boot and access my Linux install via the F9 menu.

After I go into the F10 BIOS setup menu to change the boot order making Windows first in the list and Ubuntu second exit, the BIOS no longer shows the Ubuntu menu entry, however it still shows the disk name. The disk name is not usable to boot Linux. Selecting it via F9 results in Windows booting.

A (an ugly) workaround is to let Ubuntu boot to grub and have grub select Windows after a short timeout.  But one of the reasons I like this machine is the very fast boot using the M.2 SSD (other disk is a traditional HDD).

Has anyone else experienced this and come up with a solution?

[quick edit]

I've also not found any way to get the boot entry back except to do a complete reinstall of 18.4.  If there is an easier way, I'd appreciate it.

[/quick edit]

Thanks,

-Al

Tags (2)
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation