Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Z2 Mini G4
Linux

I am looking to change my storage for my HP Z2 Mini G4 to a Samsung EVO 970 1tb m.2 NVMe SSD with V-NAND. 

I'm curious if this is supported?

Also, will the heat-sink inside be needed or would i just use the 970 EVO Heat Dissapation that is built in?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

the HP z2 supports ANY nvme ssd that is in the common 2280 size format, it doesnt card what the ssd itself is called by the manufacturer

https://www.supportvideos.ext.hp.com/detail/video/5819967700001/how-to-remove-and-replace-the-m.2-so...

if you change the ssd and it's a boot device you will lose the windows recovery option so make a OS restore USB key beforehand

HP Recommended

How about the usage of the heatsink that comes with the m.2 2280 format?  I saw in the replacement video there is a heat sink sleeve. I know there are other heatsinks out there.

HP Recommended

most ssd's do not require heatsinks, however some small form factor systems/laptops do use heatsinks and in these cases the factory one is the preferred one

using a large heatsink on a ssd can actually cause issues with the nand memory used on the ssd as they require a specific temperature range to function normally and the larger heatsink may prevent them from reaching the required operating range

in reality, only the ssd's cpu may require cooling, and you can find small copper heatsinks that will fit on a ssd's cpu

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.