4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post

Z210 CMT - BIOS AMT / ME options not showing up

HP Recommended
Z210 CMT
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi,

I bought a refurbished HP Z210 Workstation for personal use and so I had no need for AMT/Intel ME features to stay active.

Weird enough, the BIOS setup would not show the AMT/ME management options under the Advanced sub-menu.

I even performed an update to the latest BIOS (from 1.51 to 1.53) to no joy.

I had to resort to BCU (BIOS Configuration Utility) to deactivate AMT/ME as the options did show up in the file.

I have searched the Net  thoroughly for an answer to this issue but could not find any.

Is anyone out there who has a clue about it?

Thanks in advance.

Roger

9 REPLIES 9
iMaxx
Level 8
Level 8
579 567 29 240
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I think this may have been by design, but I am verifying with the BIOS team.

I am an HP Employee
Quality Manager - HP VR / Z Desktops
-----
iMaxx” FORMER VOODOO PC / HP LEGACY GAMING SERVICE MANAGER
While I am an HP employee, my comments and suggestions are my own and do not represent HP Inc.
0 Kudos
Roger_pt
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HI, iMaxx,

Are there any news on your enquiries with the BIOS team?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
iMaxx
Level 8
Level 8
579 567 29 240
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Forgive my tardiness.

There is a tool we have called the BIOS Configuration Utility that you can use to configure the BIOS. (Ususally used in Enterprise environments.) It can contain settings that are not in F10 Setup. 

The User Guide is here.

You essentially run this utility and export the settings. (Good for backup purposes.) Look through the output file for the setting you want and enable it or disable it as needed. 🙂

Hope this helps!

I am an HP Employee
-----
While I am an HP employee, my comments and suggestions are my own and do not represent HP Inc.
0 Kudos
Roger_pt
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If you read through my initial post, you'll learn that it was also the way out I found to the issue.

However, it is rather annoying when, for instance, the other day I mistakenly got out of the Setup with "restore defaults" instead of "save and exit".

As a result, AMT /ME also changed to the default which is enabled.

Had to redo all the settings from the F10 Setup in order to enter Windows and, from there, reset the AMT/ME options to disabled with BCU.

I thought there might be some "under the cover" way to make the options visible in the Setup menu but it doesn't seem to be the case.

Thanks, anyway .

0 Kudos
iMaxx
Level 8
Level 8
579 567 29 240
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I got ya, sadly no. There isn't a way to make them visible.

I am an HP Employee
-----
0 Kudos
Skylarking
Level 6
382 369 22 66
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Roger_pt , i agree that it's rather frustrating not seeing all the BIOS options that are contained within our machine.

Sadly BCU is not a be all and end all as i've seen options (like 'post mode' and 'post messages') dissapear from the BCU output (though i don't know if this was due to a BCU version change or a BIOS version change or some combination of the two).

As for the difficulty you had with recovering your BIOS settings, 'Replicated setup' within BIOS itself could be usefull for you (after using BCU to set up the hidden options as you desire). You can use 'Replicated setup' to make a BIOS configuration backup to a USB stick and later restore the backup from USB stick should you ever need to reset BIOS defaults. It's simpler than jumping into BIOS, then booting the OS and using BCU to redo your changed. 'RS' is all handled from within BIOS itself (save & recovery that is).

Oddly, i see enable/disable as settings under <Advanced><AMT configuration> within BIOS v1.47 so not sure what option you can't see in 1.51 & 1.53?

<rant begin>

In any case all the above shouldn't matter as it's a simple design choice as to what options HP include and/or expose within BIOS. As such, using thie BIOS tool set, it should be easy for HP to react to their customers needs and make such updates.

Unfortunately, the reality is that despite it's being a simple thing to do (and expose such features directly within the BIOS or indeed update the microcode so we can use the V2 xeon CPU's or even stop puting in whitelists within laptop bios'), HP is anything but reactive to their customers needs (in the way i would like to see).

Guess HP see it as better for their bottom line for customers to spend thousands $$ and simply buy the latest and greatest new fangled machine (even when a simple BIOS update could meet the customers needs). Planned obsolescence at it worst is so much more profitable it seems - though it's at our expense really.

Another way to put it is i find it odd how (lower teir?) motherboard manufacturers can make BIOS updates available on their older boards that include newer CPU's while HP states how difficult it would be to do the same.

If they don't want to do it, make the BIOS tools available and we'd likely do a better job of it.

</rant end>

0 Kudos
Roger_pt
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks much for the suggestions, Skylarking.

I never tried the "Replicated setup" but I agree it does sound like a simpler way to recover the settings.

In my Z210, either with 1.51 and 1.53 BIOS, the Advanced menu ends up at <Slot settings>, so no <AMT configuration> showing up.

0 Kudos
Skylarking
Level 6
382 369 22 66
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hmm, BIOS v1.52 can't be rolled back to v 1.47 :Surprise:

Guess the reason to update BIOS just became a sophie's choice or maybe a hobson's choice.

On the one hand we have faults the BIOS update resolves while on the other hand i loose an easily BIOS settable AMT hardware feature. Seems a loose loose whichever way i go 😞

0 Kudos
eo4063
1 1 0 0
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

How the BIOS Configuration Utility can be used with Linux to set up AMT?

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation