cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
fmyhr
Level 2
21 15 1 1
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Solved!

Z230 SFF with Intel and Nvidia GPUs: Cannot set Intel VGA primary after BIOS update

HP Recommended
Z230 SFF

I have a Z230 SFF with both integrated Intel E3-1245v3 iGPU and an Nvidia NVS 310 dGPU. I use the iGPU as the primary VGA (active on boot) and pass the dGPU through to a virtual machine. With BIOS 1.18 + ME 9.0.31.1487 this worked fine by setting:

Advanced: VGA Configuration:

Slot 1: Nvidia VGA controller: Non-boot device

IGD: Intel VGA controller: Primary VGA device

Then, before a planned system reinstall, I decided to update the BIOS and ME. I chose BIOS 1.53 and ME 9.1.32.1002 based on the History.htm release notes included with the latest BIOS 1.55 update package.

Following the BIOS and ME updates, the system initially continued to work as I wanted, booting with iGPU active. But then I cleared the CMOS while troubleshooting another problem. That reset the primary VGA to the dGPU. Advanced: Device Options : Integrated Video was set to Disabled.

I enabled Advanced: Device Options: Integrated Video, but then there was *no* VGA active on reboot. I had to reset CMOS again to get back to using the dGPU as primary VGA.

Then I discovered that with the updated BIOS + ME, the BIOS Setup Advanced: VGA Configuration option has disappeared. :Crying:

Any hints for getting the iGPU back to primary VGA?

Ordinarily I'd consider flashing back to working BIOS 1.18, but

1. I don't actually have a BIOS 1.18 flash file. (Haven't found one on the HP support website.)
  2. The BIOS release notes say it's impossible to downgrade past certain version numbers: 1.54, 1.42, 1.40, 1.31.
  3. There are quite a few fixes in BIOSes newer than 1.18 that I'd prefer to keep if possible.

Thanks for any help!!!

-Frank

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
fmyhr
Author
Level 2
21 15 1 1
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Support (thanks Sai :smileyhappy:) and a 2nd working Z230 SFF convinced me to upgrade to BIOS 1.55 even though there's no going back. I'm happy to report that BIOS 1.55 solved this problem; I can once again use the BIOS Setup Advanced: VGA Configuration option to select Intel or Nvidia as the primary VGA device.

View solution in original post

Tags (1)
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
1 REPLY 1
fmyhr
Author
Level 2
21 15 1 1
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Support (thanks Sai :smileyhappy:) and a 2nd working Z230 SFF convinced me to upgrade to BIOS 1.55 even though there's no going back. I'm happy to report that BIOS 1.55 solved this problem; I can once again use the BIOS Setup Advanced: VGA Configuration option to select Intel or Nvidia as the primary VGA device.

Tags (1)
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation