Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z230
macOS 10.12 Sierra

I have a USB device that needs to plug in internally into a motherboard USB header. For the moment I'm borrowing the USB header for the front panel USB 2.0 ports to make this work (and getting post errors about the front panel being disconnected since I'm not using all the pins), however there is another header on the board labeled "Internal USB/DASH" with a very strange and apparantly nonstandard pin layout (2x10 w/ several pins missing from the bottom row). Since this is labeled as being USB I suspect I can get the connections I need off of this header, but I have no idea which pins to use due to the odd layout.

Does anyone have information on the pinout of this port?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Finially figured this out. This confusingly labeled port is actually a USB 3.0 header with 1 2.0 port and 1 3.0 port (thus it's missing 4 pins, which is what threw me off to begin with).

There is actully another 2.0 header under the SATA ports misleadingly (meaninglessly? stupidly?) labeled "media". Glad HP's hardware is better than their documentation.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

After doing some more research there appears to be an HP part (ASSY PN 717387-001) that allows devices designed for this non standard header to connect to a standard header, but I need the opposite adaptor. The pinout from 717387-001 would be enough for me to make my own adaptor. Is there anyway to get this information?

HP Recommended

Finially figured this out. This confusingly labeled port is actually a USB 3.0 header with 1 2.0 port and 1 3.0 port (thus it's missing 4 pins, which is what threw me off to begin with).

There is actully another 2.0 header under the SATA ports misleadingly (meaninglessly? stupidly?) labeled "media". Glad HP's hardware is better than their documentation.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.