Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z240 Tower Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The motherboard has the name "Atayal" but the diagnostics have another ID. 

I am trying to install new RAM and I thought the max was 64GB 

I have 4x8GB DDR4 2133 Corsair Vengence LPX modules and the system will only recognise a max of 16GB. If I put all 4 modules in I get the 3/2 beeps error. If I put 3 modules in any combination of slots it only see 2.

Because I cannot be sure of the board I cannot seem to find out what the problem is.

any help much appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Your corsair is single rank and has high density chips.  What is happening is that the bios scans memory and every slot has twice the memory it is expecting.  It stops after two slots because it has found all 4 banks for ram

This is the problem I had but at least you can boot up

Get some used HP chips IMHO.

I have found the kingston memory finder to be superior to corsair

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

The Atayal is the name of the motherboard.

A concise list of recommended memory was compiled by @SDH here

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/DDR3-and-DDR4-DIMM...

Your corsair appears to be incompatible for one reason or another.  Since two of them work but all cannot be used I am guessing the rank is different.  Memory recommended for z240 is 2Rx8 or dual-rank. I was unable to find the spec for your LPX Corsair but I noticed that amazon lists the memory type used by the 2133 as NOT ddr4. 

BeemerBiker_0-1644933426536.png

That is suspicious and if you select "3200" for the speed, the memory type becomes ddr4.

https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengeance-2133MHz-Desktop-Memory/dp/B0123ZCD36Bvengeance%2Bddr4%2Blpx...

I read else where that 3200 has a base speed of 2133 but XMP can push to 3200.  

If the bios of the Z240 supports XMP then you can probably configure the memory to run.  If the memory rank is not 2Rx8 then you need to obtain 2Rx8  type memory.

Could you use CPU-z and look at the SPD and post the results?  I tried corsair 3200 in my Area51 and it would not boot at all and I got a full refund from Newegg which was un-common for them.  I needed 2rx8 and they sent me memory that had chips only on one side which I knew was wrong as soon as I saw it.

Regards

HP Recommended

BaasTed_0-1644935671140.png

Slots 2 & 3 the same.

thank you

HP Recommended

Your corsair is single rank and has high density chips.  What is happening is that the bios scans memory and every slot has twice the memory it is expecting.  It stops after two slots because it has found all 4 banks for ram

This is the problem I had but at least you can boot up

Get some used HP chips IMHO.

I have found the kingston memory finder to be superior to corsair

HP Recommended

Guess im not getting reimbursed by the company for buying the wrong RAM then........

Really struggled to find the right info and thought I had. Thanks for your help explaining.

HP Recommended

the HP z240 supports  Unbuffered "ECC" and Non ECC ram (but not at the same time)

Memory type supported
DDR4, UDIMM (unbuffered), ECC and non-ECC

Memory configuration:

4GB, 8GB and 16GB non-ECC/4GB, 8GB and 16GB ECC unbuffered DIMMs are supported.

ECC and non-ECC memory DIMMs cannot be mixed on the same system.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04892038

https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/hp---compaq/hp-z240-workstation

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.