Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
z240 Tower Workstation
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I want to upgrade the hard drive on my z240 - currently it has the WD Blue 1 TB 7200 rpm that it shipped with.

Pretty much all of the drives that are listed as options in the HP specifications are either astronomically expensive, unavailable or only available as "refurbished"

I just want something that is 2 TB or larger, 7200 rpm, and reliable for heavy daily use (I love this computer and do not want to replace it). Am willing to spend money for a good drive.

Does anyone have any information on which drives are compatible with this old but great machine?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I personally would first upgrade the win 7 to a free windows 10 pro license/install by downloading the win 10 pro x64 install image to a usb key, and the from within windows 7 go to the usb key and run the win 10 installer/setup file. this will upgrade the Os to win 10 and grant the motherboard a valid win 10 digital license

once on win 10, install the SATA based SSD(s) of your choice or a main boot ssd and use your existing mech drive as a archival data drive

windows 7 does not natively support ssd's as a boot device and making it ssd boot compatible is not worth the effort in my opinion windows 10 has built in SSD support and can use a nvme drive as a data drive or even as a boot drive using DUET/REFIND if the z240 is not uefi compatible (i believe it is uefi enabled) you really, really need a nvme or sata ssd as a boot device (sata is fine and hassle free however!!)

staying on a mech drive? then any sata of 3TB or less can be used as a boot drive

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

I personally would first upgrade the win 7 to a free windows 10 pro license/install by downloading the win 10 pro x64 install image to a usb key, and the from within windows 7 go to the usb key and run the win 10 installer/setup file. this will upgrade the Os to win 10 and grant the motherboard a valid win 10 digital license

once on win 10, install the SATA based SSD(s) of your choice or a main boot ssd and use your existing mech drive as a archival data drive

windows 7 does not natively support ssd's as a boot device and making it ssd boot compatible is not worth the effort in my opinion windows 10 has built in SSD support and can use a nvme drive as a data drive or even as a boot drive using DUET/REFIND if the z240 is not uefi compatible (i believe it is uefi enabled) you really, really need a nvme or sata ssd as a boot device (sata is fine and hassle free however!!)

staying on a mech drive? then any sata of 3TB or less can be used as a boot drive

HP Recommended

Ok good advice, I need to see if I am going to lose any of my everyday software if I move to Win 10 and if not I will definitely go the SSD route - thank you very much!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.