Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

z240 PSU is good to run up to GTX 1070, and 1080 with some limits (both factory tested). VGA without need of auxiliary power should be OK all the time. 

HP Recommended

HP workstations are spected to run with several drives/memory/pci-e cards installed

i'm not sure if your model has a higher wattage supply that is used when running high power cpu's and a fully decked out system (all drive bays/memory/pci-e slots filled) however if the card(s) have power connectors, then you need to determine what each card draws and see if it exceeds the existing supply

what i can say is that your hp service manual will list the supply(s) wattage and how much can be drawn from the supply

with the above said, i will point out that the pci-e slot delivers 75 watts per slot and the stock power supply is designed to work without issues  with all spci-e / ram slots filled so for your use a video card with no aux power connector is well within the allowed power spects, no other changes need to be done

next, HP uses a sustom power supply/connector. the pinouts can again be found in the HP service manual

the person who told you to connect a generic 24/20 pin adapter will possibly cause you to damage the pwr supply or motherboard or both since the system does not use a axt style supply it is a micro ATX supply as i recall

you might want to read this HP link (remeber google is your friend!!)

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/Z240-workstation-p...

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Has anyone had success at installing a psu into the z240?  I ordered an adaptor from www.moddiy.com, and it did not operate. I’m currently working with them to either get a replacement adaport to a refund. Will update the post to let everyone how the company is at returns. 

HP Recommended

What did you find out?

HP Recommended

I have not gotten the PSU to work.  The adaptor from Moddiy.com didn't work.  After emailing with them several times, the company sent another adaptor to try, but it didn't work.  I also ordered an adaptor from ayagroup.com, very similar adaptor, and it did not work.  I tried a new PSU but got the same results.  I changed the pins around the 6 pin connector, followed all the schematics I found on the web, but still no luck.  I am waiting to hear back from the Tech Support with ayagroup.  If I figure it out I will post.  Anyone have any luck getting an ATX PSU to work in a Z240?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.