Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z4

Hello,

I added a different graphics card in an Z4 workstation and now on every boot I get the error: „513-Configuration requires a Front Chassis fan and this fan is not detected.“

This unit does not have a front fan and now I always have to skip/confirm this error with the keyboard.

Some posts suggested that in the BIOS there is a setting that ignores such post errors, but it seems there is not. At least I cannot find it.

I also read that those are standard PWM fans and I have some non-HP 80 and 120 fans, so I tried to connect them to the front fan header, however it seems even though the header on the mainboard has 4-pins it is not a standard PWM Header. It is missing the cutouts for the two notches.

Anyone know a) how I can disable this post error or b) if I can just connect my standard PWM fans by plugging it in by force and it will work? I can also remove the notches from my PWM fans..

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

That is a nice new computer and I'd recommend getting an official HP Front Case Fan Kit, which is comprised of a high quality black plastic fan holder/card guide, plus the HP PWM fan that was engineered to be balanced with all the other PWM fans HP has put in the box.

You run some risk by not getting an official one... out of balance fan speeds, plus forcing the plug.  HP uses the standard PWM fan pin/wire order but their standard PWM plug is missing that center offset third plastic ridge.  You can use a utility knife to carefully shave that one off and keep the two side ridges in place if you want to experiment.

B & H Photo has the kit for about 30.00 USD... HERE   I'd get that for the G4 if it was mine.  There will be a bit of fiddling to get all the cables to route perfectly, but it is a nice add on.  The official option part number for the kit is 1XM33AA so that will be easy to see.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.