Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

Hello HP experts,

Please advise on how should I position 2x Stick of 4GB total of 8gb in my Z400 workstation (6 dimms)

base on the link below that  Z400 is a three-channel design and I should first filling the black slots and then filling the white slots.

Memory configuration and optimization

http://h20331.www2.hp.com/Hpsub/downloads/HP-Z400-Workstation-memory-configuration-and-optimization....

But I don't see an example for a 2 sticks of 4GB...

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

It would be best to get a third matching stick of 4GB, but put the first two in the "load order" black sockets 1 and 2.  If you get a third then stick it in the load order black socket 3 shown in the little diagram down below the chart.

Note that the load order in that little cartoon is, from left to right, 6 3 5 2 4 1.  That is not the socket name order, however.  Those names are printed on the PCB in tiny letters by each socket, and from left to right they are 6 5 4 3 2 1.  So, if you use the socket name order instead of the socket load order numeration method you'd put your first two sticks in sockets 1 and 3, and if you got a 3rd stick you'd put that in socket name 5.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

It would be best to get a third matching stick of 4GB, but put the first two in the "load order" black sockets 1 and 2.  If you get a third then stick it in the load order black socket 3 shown in the little diagram down below the chart.

Note that the load order in that little cartoon is, from left to right, 6 3 5 2 4 1.  That is not the socket name order, however.  Those names are printed on the PCB in tiny letters by each socket, and from left to right they are 6 5 4 3 2 1.  So, if you use the socket name order instead of the socket load order numeration method you'd put your first two sticks in sockets 1 and 3, and if you got a 3rd stick you'd put that in socket name 5.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.