Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

I'll get you some HP part numbers shortly for RAM that is from HP and specifically for the Z400 workstation.

Your 500203-061 RAM is ECC and Registered (= Buffered).  It needs to be ECC and Unregistered (Unbuffered).  I got bit by not following HP's rules on memory for these workstations and thus all my mea culpas in a number of the posts above.  I have found some exceptions for non-Z400 HP workstations but I'm not going to post about that.

The fact that you have a 6-memory slot Z400 means it must be a version 2 motherboard.  You also can confirm that via the Boot Block Date under the first tab in BIOS.  I agree with using the latest BIOS, and change of your processor should not make a difference.  I even tried several of the processors certified by HP for the Z600 version 2 that worked on the Z400 version 2 but those processors (which would run fine with ECC Buffered memory would not run in the Z400 (using the same processor and memory sticks).  So there is something different on the Z400 motherboard causing this.  Switch over to the ECC Unbuffered memory in the Z400 and it would run fine with that same processor.

Long story short... wait for my followup on the correct HP part numbers to buy.  Coming shortly.

HP Recommended

So here is some added info:

I have what I believe is the latest QuickSpecs for the Z400, v58 from 11/21/13.  It lists the fastest processors at that time as the W3680 and the W3690.   I have posted on the discovery that the X5690 works fine in the Z400 v2.  The two I put in from my Z600 stash of approved Z600 processors were the X5672 and the X5675, both 95W max TDP.  The other 3 are faster and 130W max TDP.

I've checked the Passmark single processor scores on those 5 and I'd personally choose the W3690 or the W3680 from that set if you want to upgrade your single processor.  The larger 130W heatsink/fan that almost always was present in the Z400 will cool all of those fine, and fit with zero problem.  You can see what those look like on eBay, and assume you already have one installed.  The W3690 has only a single sSpec code, SLBW2, so it is easy to search for on eBay.  You can find the sSpec codes for each of these processors in the Intel "Ark" site.  I only buy from respected US sellers for such purchases... the W3690 is about 75.00 right now, and about 50.00 for a W3680.

The single processor Passmark scores from top to bottom for those 5 are 8981, 8912, 8797, 8002, 6461.  The X5690 is roughly 200 slower than the W3690 because it loses some from having dual QPI links.......  it can run in a dual processor workstation but not in the Z600 v2 due to cooling constraints (just in the Z800 v2).

Memory:  Make sure to have a processor that can run at the fastest speed that workstation can..... 1333.  You don't want to have a processor with 1066 FSB speed and have 1333 memory held back by that.  You want to fill all 6 slots with identical size/brand/speed memory and ideally all from HP.  It must be ECC Unbuffered HP certified and sourced (used, off eBay, etc.).

Here are the Z400 sticks you want, and I'll only show the 4GB sticks.  All these are "10600E" designated, all 1333 speed, ECC, and Unbuffered.  A "100600R" stick means it also can run at 1333 speed, is ECC, and is Registered (which will not work in the Z400).  That, however, will work fine in the Z600, but only if it is a v2.  This all can get so confusing and that is partly why I prefer to only buy the HP sticks used from eBay rather than dink around trying to find identical RAM that does not have the HP part number sticker on it.  That does exist, but I'm done with trying to save the last dime on memory.  Here are the 4GB HP ones that are right for your Z400:

500210-071

500210-571

500210-572 = 661524-001 = for the Z210 but same HP memory used in the Z400 if you look at the specs.

Good luck on your project....

HP Recommended

Wow...disabling hyperthreading; how crazy is that?

Sounds about right for the symptoms I encountered.

So long story short for those interested was to install Win10 as nothing else worked.

1st thing I did after reading your suggestions Beemer was I booted into a live linux MX 18 which had a thorough system report app that showed all 12 threads and no issues with the original 6gb of ram which I stayed with because the added ram I had lying around brought the speed down to something like 1066 instead of 1333. After that I went back to Win7 and tried deleting the 6 cores in Device manager resulting in the same no boot issue. That's when I decided to settle for Win10. But now that I'm on it I'll learn it as well as I need to. Didn't want to loose Media Center but it is what it is.

I wouldn't be too concerned about going to 3.61 since you're already on Win10 if you want to get rid of the F1 stopping the boot. But then again I'm only just getting to use the Z, but so far I'm good.

Thanks again for your help troubleshooting my rig BeemerBiker.

HP Recommended

I've got to say this is probably the friendliest, most helpful forum I've ever been to. 

You have provided some very helpful information on the Z's SDH.

I've got to mention I bought some of the wrong RAM (buffered) going by your recommendation in an earlier post. But I couldn't tell if the label had the holograph from the ebay photo and when it arrived it did not. So I was a bit disappointed. Fortunately the 6 sticks of 4gb only set me back $30.

I did put in the W3690 that you mention above with the 130w cooler that came in the box. As I mentioned the unit wouldn't boot so the weather guy was throwing it out so I rescued it from the dumpster. I work at a TV station and this workstation was one of the lesser machines they use. And with it's age and only running on 4 cores without the hyperthreading nor Turbo on they must have been glad to be rid of it. Found a refurb mother board for $27 that unbeknownst to me at the time was an upgrade. So another bonus there to.

I will use your recommendations to search for the correct RAM and give it a bit more of a boost. 

HP Recommended

Hi all, I'm new to this forum and intrigued by the detailed memory discussion. I have a Z400 with the six dimm v2 motherboard and 3550 processor, running Win 10 pro 64bit. Currently the system has total 6GB ram in three Elpida 500209-562 (2 GB) sticks.

I would like to get the system to 12 GB by adding three more 2 GB sticks in the unused slots. There are used 2 GB sticks for sale on Ebay with same part number but manufactured by Samsung.

Is it safe to mix ram from different manufacturers as long as the part numbers match?

Thanks much!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.