Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z420
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Dun't know what's happened on Z420 workstation , after i installed new OS on 2.5 inch 256G SSD .

The BIOS version became J61 V00.31 . Auto downgrade ? 1.23 to 0.31

As I tried many ways to upgrade new BIOS version was all error , dun't know wha's happened and why I can flash new version BIOS by bios utility...Dos and hpq tools .

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Never have heard of such a thing in over a decade... you need to learn how to upgrade BIOS from within BIOS.  Below are two links that contain my detailed instructions.  Get both, print both, read both.  In the second link DGroves has the HowTo inside his post.  The idea is that by doing this from within BIOS you have no operating system or other program between you and the process.  Hopefully you still can get in to BIOS...

The links are  HERE , and  HERE .

You have a risk of corrupting your BIOS if you try to use HP BIOS upgrade utilities/software that were built for XP or W7 when you are running them inside of W10 instead.  If you truly went backwards to some very old version you may need to do the "step up" process from way old to old, and then from old to most recent.  That is done the same way but the BIOS .bin file you need for the first step up can be hard to find.  Let us know if you need help on that.

HP Recommended

Thanks for those links , will try hard to find that out .

But still big problem of get above V0.31 ?also how to flash back to normal stage with V 3.91 , Seems no way to get any 0.XX but 1.23 now , I tried to find out all version on Google still just 1.23 i can download even install Windows 7 yesterday .

Sinced I upgrade my graphic card Nvidia GTX 1060 the nightmare comes ...still have no any idea how this happened .

HP Recommended

No matter how old your BIOS version now may be there is a single step up that you need to do, and then from there you can upgrade to the latest BIOS version (3.96) as the second step.

If you are lower than 1.26 see the attached PDF for the HP info and the link to the .exe file that lets you run that as I have described, and then cancel out of that at the earliest time to get to a point where you can harvest the .bin file from the DOS folder in the SWSetup folder on the root level of your C drive to get the .bin file 1.26 and then update to that as described using a thumb drive from within BIOS.

Then shut down, boot, and do the next step of downloading the 3.96 installer so you can harvest its .bin file and take the second step up.... from 1.26 to 3.96. 

If this is over your head get a skilled computer shop involved.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp64501-65000/sp64701.exe is the address to download the HP installer you need first.

HP Recommended

Same , still can not flash new ver bios ...

My god !

HP Recommended

Try it later .

Thanks !

HP Recommended

thanks !

still the same , gave up for BIOS upgrade .... use K2000 only !

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.