Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Z420
Microsoft Windows Server 2019

I am working on a Z420 Workstation and I noticed that it is missing at least two fan and air baffle assembles. Here is a picture from a Google search showing the two assembles, circled in red, that I am missing.

Small (4 of 5).jpg

I also now notice that I am missing the fan in the lower right corner of the image.

The Workstation has 4x8GB memory to give a total of 32GB and it has a Xeon E5-1650 V3 processor.

Does anyone here know the part numbers for these three items? Maybe I can find them on Amazon or eBay.

I will be running this machine continuously and want to make sure it is being properly cooled. If these fans are not necessary for this configuration then I would appreciate knowing that too.

Thanks!

--

Boris

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Here is more than you ever wanted to know, but I had some cut/paste notes handy:

Your circle on the left encompasses two items, one of which you likely have:

The rear-mounted case fan is found as a kit/a fan/ and a black plastic fan holder.  Search under parts with HP numbers 663347-001, 653905-001 and 647292-001.  Find whatever includes all 3 under any of those numbers, but these are the parts I think you have.

The rear memory fan/airflow guide unit is also in that circle...  The 4-wire fan uses a non-ridged white PWM plug end, and uses a Delta AFB0612HH (60x60x12mm HH fan). It can thus easily accept a Noctua 4-wire fan speed reducer. It has fan part number 647293-001.  The rear memory duct black plastic fan holder part is 663069-001, and there seems to be another (663345-001).  Again, search under all those part numbers and get the best price.

The front memory airflow guide is encircled in your right hand circle, and is passive.  No fan attached.  It uses the exhaust of the power supply fan to guide cooling are from out front up and across the front memory bank, and then out back.  A similar device was used in the earlier Z400, but they are not interchangable.  The Z420 version has option part number of C4J29AA, Spares P/N of 663346-001, and Assembly P/N of 663070-001. The AS P/N is what is embossed on the plastic surface of the duct. The Spares P/N is available from the HP listing found via Google search for "Z420 Spare Parts".  The v2 version of the Z420 motherboard allows use of the faster (1800 MHz) memory that the V2 processors can support, and this duct appears well worth installing if those fill the slots.

The Z420 Front PCI fan & card guide *kit* is comprised of fan holder & fan = 684024-001.  The Z420 black plastic fan holder part has AS P/N 604781-003 etched on the plastic which is ***identical*** in shape to the one used on the Z400 (which has AS P/N 604781-001 etched in).  Both of these likely also would work perfectly in the xw4600, and one from a xw4600 should work in either of both of these workstations.  The Z420 fan is a Nidec, also used as the 92x92x25mm fan for other purposes in the Z420.  This has AS P/N = 647113-001 REV A, and has OEM label of T92T12MS3A7-57A03, which is a 0.35A 12VDC fan and runs at 629 RPM in the Z420 v2 (which is excellent).  Again, on eBay sellers don't know these details so search for any of the HP part numbers above to find the best buy.

If you think you'll reduce heat by using any of the L rated memory forget it.... that 1.38v memory will run at 1.5v in all the HP workstations.  Takes a HP server to see the benefit.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Here is more than you ever wanted to know, but I had some cut/paste notes handy:

Your circle on the left encompasses two items, one of which you likely have:

The rear-mounted case fan is found as a kit/a fan/ and a black plastic fan holder.  Search under parts with HP numbers 663347-001, 653905-001 and 647292-001.  Find whatever includes all 3 under any of those numbers, but these are the parts I think you have.

The rear memory fan/airflow guide unit is also in that circle...  The 4-wire fan uses a non-ridged white PWM plug end, and uses a Delta AFB0612HH (60x60x12mm HH fan). It can thus easily accept a Noctua 4-wire fan speed reducer. It has fan part number 647293-001.  The rear memory duct black plastic fan holder part is 663069-001, and there seems to be another (663345-001).  Again, search under all those part numbers and get the best price.

The front memory airflow guide is encircled in your right hand circle, and is passive.  No fan attached.  It uses the exhaust of the power supply fan to guide cooling are from out front up and across the front memory bank, and then out back.  A similar device was used in the earlier Z400, but they are not interchangable.  The Z420 version has option part number of C4J29AA, Spares P/N of 663346-001, and Assembly P/N of 663070-001. The AS P/N is what is embossed on the plastic surface of the duct. The Spares P/N is available from the HP listing found via Google search for "Z420 Spare Parts".  The v2 version of the Z420 motherboard allows use of the faster (1800 MHz) memory that the V2 processors can support, and this duct appears well worth installing if those fill the slots.

The Z420 Front PCI fan & card guide *kit* is comprised of fan holder & fan = 684024-001.  The Z420 black plastic fan holder part has AS P/N 604781-003 etched on the plastic which is ***identical*** in shape to the one used on the Z400 (which has AS P/N 604781-001 etched in).  Both of these likely also would work perfectly in the xw4600, and one from a xw4600 should work in either of both of these workstations.  The Z420 fan is a Nidec, also used as the 92x92x25mm fan for other purposes in the Z420.  This has AS P/N = 647113-001 REV A, and has OEM label of T92T12MS3A7-57A03, which is a 0.35A 12VDC fan and runs at 629 RPM in the Z420 v2 (which is excellent).  Again, on eBay sellers don't know these details so search for any of the HP part numbers above to find the best buy.

If you think you'll reduce heat by using any of the L rated memory forget it.... that 1.38v memory will run at 1.5v in all the HP workstations.  Takes a HP server to see the benefit.

HP Recommended

Forgot to mention.... take a look at the Z440/Z640 stock single processor heatsink/fan on eBay.  Almost exactly 2x the cooling fin area, and all you need to do is hang the 6th plug hole out in space from the 5-pin ZX20 heatsink fan motherboard header.  That is what I do now....

HP Recommended

HI SDH,

Wow, what a reply! 😀 This is excellent!

You are correct that I already have the rear mounted case fan. Pardon my sloppy circle! 😇

I searched for 663069-001 on eBay and found a fan and airflow guide. It looks like something that ought to fit.

Searching for 663070-001 on eBay gave me the front airflow guide. I'm surprised it's so much more expensive than the rear memory cover!

I have access to heavily gutted XW4400, XW4600, and XW8400 machines waiting to be recycled. I know .. it looks very sad to see them like that. Next week I will try to get to them and see if they still have the front fan assemblies. Even if the bracket isn't there or is there but can't fit the Z420 then maybe I can at least grab a fan and zip-tie it to the inside of the case somehow.

Thanks for all of this great info! I really do appreciate it.

--

Boris

HP Recommended

Happy to help.....

Search in this forum for "Ghetto Mod" and you will find some of my prior posts on installing a front HP case fan without having the black plastic custom fit fan holder.  There is a motherboard header right there for attaching a HP PWM 4-wire fan to increase your front-to-back air flow.

On the passive front air flow guide..... yep, the cost is a supply/demand issue.  Every Z420 had the rear memory cooler, but only the fastest ones got the front passive airflow guide.  Luckily I got a stash of these before the price went up.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.