Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z420
Linux

Hi

Got a Z420, with E5-1650, running under Ubuntu 18.04. Ever since upgrading the BIOS to v03.96, power to onboard NIC is cut off during hibernate and suspend. Tried the following, to no avail:

1. Unique Sleep State Blink Rates set to Disabled
  2. S5 Maximum Power Saving set to Disabled
  3. S5 Wake on Lan set to Enabled

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

I don't have a Z420, or run Linux, but my Z620 has a setting in the BIOS, (under the Advanced tab), to set the wake up source;

WOL.JPG

Do you see a similar setting in your Z420 BIOS and is it set to Remote Server?

HP Z620 - Liquid Cooled E5-1680v2 @4.7GHz / 64GB Hynix PC3-14900R 1866MHz / GTX1080Ti FE 11GB / Quadro P2000 5GB / Samsung 256GB PCIe M.2 256GB AHCI / Passmark 9.0 Rating = 7147 / CPU 17461 / 2D 1019 / 3D 14464 / Mem 3153 / Disk 15451 / Single Threaded 2551
HP Recommended
Thank you for your reply. Menu looks different - V2.15.1229, 2012, by American Megatrends - but  options are somewhat the same. Currently, I have the following: 
  1. Remote Wakeup Boot Source set to Remote Server
  2. S5 Wake on LAN set to Enabled
  3. Runtime Power Management set to Enabled
  4. Idle Power Saving set to Extended
  5. PCIe Performance Mode set to Disabled
  6. Unique sleep State Blink Rates set to Disabled
  7. S5 Maximum Power Savings set to Disabled
Problem is that issuing either  suspend or hibernate removes power from the whole chassis, i.e., it requires power button press to wakeup the box. (And NIC LED is not blinking, during this time.)
Cheers,
HP Recommended

This does sound a bit strange. I use WOL on my Z620 without any issues, using my mobile phone to switch on my PC when the Z620 is powered off. Personally, I haven't tried waking from hibernate or suspend modes since I don't use/need these functions, plus I'm running W7Pro, so I don't think that would be of much help even if I tested it. In W7Pro there are also settings in the OS under the Power Options menu to control various hardware power states.

I would suggest you have a quick read of this article as it may give you some ideas how to diagnose this issue. It does also mention it's implementation in Linux.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake-on-LAN

Does the computer WOL in the power off state?

HP Z620 - Liquid Cooled E5-1680v2 @4.7GHz / 64GB Hynix PC3-14900R 1866MHz / GTX1080Ti FE 11GB / Quadro P2000 5GB / Samsung 256GB PCIe M.2 256GB AHCI / Passmark 9.0 Rating = 7147 / CPU 17461 / 2D 1019 / 3D 14464 / Mem 3153 / Disk 15451 / Single Threaded 2551
HP Recommended

WOL is a bit of black magic, and it is not  a power conserving capability for the vast majority of us.  Hence a number of the BIOS settings that have to be perfectly aligned for WOL to work are not that way out of the box.  Setting BIOS to factory defaults is a sure way to kill WOL.  If you don't see network activity on the LEDs of your LOM port on the backplane that means there is no power to it when the workstation is off.  You want those lights blinking if you are plugged in to your network whether in sleep of off mode.  Every 7 years or so I figure it out again, and then forget.  I'll get into my notes.  It is not just BIOS that has to be set perfectly.  There also are OS settings...

To OP:  Brian's access to his BIOS settings is via HP Performance Advisor so things look a bit different than the interface you're used to.

To Brian:  I'm interested in how your cell phone talks to your functioning WOL-enabled computer.  Your smart phone seems smarter than mine.

I'll post back in a day or so..... my 7 years is up.

HP Recommended

I use Wake On LAN by Mike Webb on my android phone and no doubt there will be a similar iOS app.  The android app also has a  device search feature and a detailed and informative help section. It also gives you guidelines on how to set up WOL over 3G/4G mobile networks. 

My BIOS settings are the same as those listed in both my and Nastoohs posts above.

WOL 2.JPG

I found the Wikipedia page very informative when I first set up my WOL.

HP Recommended

Nastooh,

One interesting point in the Wikipedia  page I found is that some computers can WOL from any state, (e.g. S3, S4 or S5, i.e. hibernate, sleep or power off), while others will only WOL in its OFF state. The main reason being that computer vendors and oem's may only install the basic drivers required for OS functionality. If you search for the Intel 82574L driver you will find the full Linux driver version on the Intel site which may allow additional features such as WOL from either S3 or S4 states. It also recommends ethtool for Linux for configuring the Ethernet port.

HP Recommended

Brian & SDH

Thank you both for taking the time and looking into, it is greatly appreciated. I have some clues to follow on now. WOL used to work on this box. The 2 things that has happened are:
1- BIOS upgrade
2- Ubuntu update

Either of which are putting the box into deep sleep, i.e. none of the LEDs are on, including power botton's LED. Will investigate further and share the results.
Thank you again for your time.
Cheers,
HP Recommended

To Brian... I don't get why having WOL wakeup boot source should be set to a remote server.  The boot code desired would be on the local SSD.  There are settings to have a HP workstation get its boot code from an attached server but that is different from what it seems we want (local client boot locally, and then remote in once it is up and running).  I might not be understanding what that setting actually means.  Here is the quote from the Zx20 manual:  "Remote Wakeup Boot Source (Local Hard Drive/Remote Server). Sets the boot device for the workstation when it is started using Remote Wakeup (takes precedence over the Boot Order menu setting)."  I think that if there is no remote boot server with boot code then the workstation's boot would default back to the local SSD.  I'd try it both ways and keep that set to local drive if it made no difference. 

To OP... I know you're on Linux but I need to focus on Windows.... turns out there is a feature added to W10 called fast startup or some such thing that can interfere with some programs, and it saves some data during shutdown that then can contaminate startup of some programs and other OS features.  I always turn off hibernation to prevent that, and use an OS switch that works in W7/W8/W10.  I've posted in here on that and how to prove you've got it right in W10 by a quick look at a power control panel setting.  Open an elevated CMD prompt and copy/paste in this:

powercfg -hibernate off     (then hit enter)

You can use powercfg -hibernate on to turn it back on, and you won't see any perceptible change the moment you press enter, but it does change things.  I posted on how to see the change in W10.  Knowing how to turn that feature off saved function of a critical software for high resolution grayscale monitor control we use.  Enough of the prior boot's leftovers related to that program hung around through cold boots that it corrupted the proper load of that software every time.  The key discovery I made that led me to the solution was that all warm restarts fixed the corruption.  Fast startup in W10 is used only in cold boots, not warm restarts.  There is no way we can't use W10 now in my field, but we never had that issue in W7.

This whole WOL thing is a rabbit hole, and I don't have time to go too deep into it.  There are OS settings, BIOS settings, LOM chipset settings all to get right.  Here are some settings for the Zx20 family.  Power section/ OS power management/ Runtime Power Manage enable/ Turbo Mode enable/ Idle Power Savings enable/ PCIe Performance Mode disable/ Unique Sleep blinks disable.

Hardware Power Management/ S5 Maximum Power Savings disable.  This is key to getting the LOM LEDs to stay active on power off.

Advanced/ Device Options/ S5 Wake on LAN enabled.

Control Panel/ Network + Sharing Center/ Change Adapter Settings/ Properties/ click on Configure/ Power Management tab/ WOL setion/ check all 4 boxes  for wake on Magic packet/ wake on pattern match/ wake on magic packet from power off state/ wake on link settings.

There is a HP document on WOL and W10.... c04947950, link below.  There are lots of HP related WOL posts in Spiceworks forums.  We've had several significant threads here.... find those, and they include references to my favorite WOL testing tool which lets me do WOL work inside my LAN.  From one room to another.... can hear when things worked.  This tool requres the target to have a static IP address and for me to know its MAC address.  You've got to get it working inside a LAN before you can expect to get it going across a WAN.  That is another whole can of worms because of the need to have router and firewall settings just right to let your WOL activity pass through but not the bad guys.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04947950

Remember that this is a big time sink, and energy inefficient.  We are not currently using it.

HP Recommended

I found my notes on prior testing of whether the WOL wakeup boot source should be set to a remote server in BIOS.  No, it should not.  However, having it set to Remote Server won't harm anything if no remote server with boot code is present because just like with the local device boot order in BIOS.... if a bootable device listed first is not found the BIOS will just keep going down the list until it finds one that is bootable.  If you intend to use WOL to boot off the internal drive of the workstation you should have the boot target be set to that instead of a remote server.

Attached is a summary of what is working here with our Zx20 workstations under the latest W10, over the LAN.  We'll be opening up a firewall pathway to get it to work over our WAN.  The WOL Utility from Solar Winds in the second link at the bottom is quite valuable, free.

I can confirm that the Registry token HP recommends to be edited in via Regedit is missing until you create it manually and save that change, having checked in a recent W10 clean install on several workstations.

See attached PDF....

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.