Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z420 Workstation
Linux

I am currently using an HP z420 workstation, with a xeon e5 2660 CPU, and gentoo linux installed. I have the latest BIOS and firmware. I have two video cards installed: the NVIDIA GeForce GT 310 that came with the system and an AMD R9 280 2GB. I am trying to use a qemu/kvm virtual machine and passthrough the r9 380 to a windows 10 guest. When I started the virtual machine at first, it worked with functioning output. I proceeded to install the drivers for the card in the virtual machine. Then, the whole system instantly reset and presented the following error during bootup:

928-Fatal PCIe error. 
    PCIe error detected Slot 2
    Completion timeout

I dont think I can even start that vm anymore without this happening, and I also attempted passing through the video card to a linux guest and the same error occured, before i even installed any drivers.

The r9 380 appears to function fine in a host machine. The error also occurs with an rx 560.

Is this a problem with the motherboard? Is there a potential solution to this?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended
Hi yes it is the issue with the system board and the only fix is to replace the system board. Please contact Hp Technical support to check and replace the system board.
I am a HP Employee
HP Recommended

Thank you for posting on HP Forums,

installs Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 (x86_64) on an HP Z workstation with two or more NVIDIA graphics cards configured, the system may reboot automatically and have following error during POST.

Resolutions:
To resolve this issue, select " Install system with basic video driver" on the boot menu, or use the nomodeset xdriver=vesa boot option at the boot prompt.

928 - Fatal PCIe Error
PCIe error detected slot 5
Completion Timeout

Debashish
I am an HP Employee
If the information I've provided was helpful,
give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

HP Recommended

Ok - i guess ill just get a new board - probably a different one i know will work for hardware virtualization. Thank you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.