Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

the basic diffrences between the z series models you mention are as follows

(make sure to get a system with the v2 board which support the 56xx series xeons)

you can not update a v1 board to v2, besides the bios, the chipset on the board is a diffrent revision

z420  - single cpu  expansion for ram limited internal drives no onboard SAS controller possible thunderbolt 2 support ? not sure.............

z620 - dual cpu 55xx/56xx (130 watt or lower cpu's only) on v2 boards moderate ram and limited internal drive expansion, no onboard SAS optional upgraded pwr supply recomended if doing dual cpu's and max ram possible thunderbolt 2 support ? not sure.............

z820 -  dual cpu all  55xx/56xx  all wattages on v2 board insane amount of ram, 4 internal 5.25 and 4 external 5.25 onboard SAS controller optional 1250 watt supply (required for dual high end cpu's) supports Thunderbolt 2 card 

none of the above have bootable nvme bios's, but they do support UEFI/Gpart format for booting large drive sizes

check the HP quick specs for each model for compairson

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/575118/Hp-Z420.html

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/575056/Hp-Z620.html

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/575057/Hp-Z820.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/lit_files/84998.pdf

HP Recommended

leang81pro.....

You must look into the ZX20's BIOS and find the boot block date.... 2013 is for version 2..... 2011 will mean you have a version 1 motherboard.  If you don't already have one I'd recommend you search and buy a version 2 only because those can run the fastest 1866 memory assuming they have a v2 processor that can support 1866 MHz memory.  That is easy to find in the later QuickSpecs for these workstations that DGroves linked for you.

You cannot update the boot block date unless you are a genius and very skilled with microsoldering, and willing to toast your motherboard in the process.

The listing of approved processors HP has is updated with BIOS updates.  Thus, an old v2 motherboard might not be able to run a HP-approved v2 processor until its BIOS is updated.  My advice is to always and only update BIOS from within BIOS, and how to do this has been posted here many times.

You want to run E5-2697 v2 processor.  That is a 130W max TDP processor with 2 QPI links, with a single sSpec code of SR19H, which on release cost $2614.00 USD from Intel.  Now roughly 330.00 each from eBay used.... only buy from a respected US seller, in my opinion.

Will that work in a Z420 v1?  No, never.  And why would one want to run an expensive dual QPI link processor in a single processor workstaiton? Get a faster single QPI link one for that.

Will that work in a Z620 v1?  No, never.

Will that work in a Z420 v2? Very likely not... it was never on the HP approved processors list for that workstation.  However, if I had one of those processors I'd give it a try in one of our Z420 v2 workstations because the Z420 and the Z620 use identical BIOS installers and you never know.  No harm would come to the workstation I am quite sure.  See below.

Will that work in a Z620 v2?  Yes.... because it is listed in the later Z620 v2 QuickSpecs.  For example, the very last one from 4/1/14.... version 46.

It also is listed for the Z820 v2 workstation.  A processor with dual QPI links can be run solo, and dual QPI links are required to run two of the identical processors in a workstation.

HP Recommended
Sorry for the late response, but thank you for so much useful information.

Is it really firm that HP searchers require any of the V2 revision board for the E5-2697 V2’s?

I’d imagine that many of initial HP Z820 buyers with their C602 chipset boards would not need worry and have the practical benefit of the most high end core CPUs for such the most elite workstation from HP during C602 chipset time.

I have source that said they’d be willing to “update” the motherboard to V2 ready at reasonable cost, which would suggest that these service providers simply aren’t giving away a revision 2 board at simple bios update costs or at least a premium service charge at best.

Cant I assume that all HP Z820s with the C602 is V2 ready since HP’s site states the upgrade possible for 12 cores. Surely HP never separated early unit capability of 2010 - 2013 completely incompatible? Thanks -Joel
HP Recommended

Joel,

The answer to your first question is yes, and it is not going to change.  HP has moved on 2 generations now from your ZX20 v1 workstation.  3 generations if you consider the ZX20 v1 and the ZX20 v2 as two generations.  If you want to use a v2 processor buy a v2 motherboard and do the swap.  I have done that.... it is quite easy.  The answers to all your other questions are also..... "Sorry, but no".  Could there be a genius microsoldering chip replacement guru out there willing and able to offer the service cheaper than buying a used v2 motherboard?  I'm going to vote no on that.....

If you get a new "virgin" motherboard you'll need to learn how to "brand" it (also known as to "tattoo").  I've done that too.  The codes to use are on the labels on your case.  Old brand/tattoo information is outdated.  If you get a used v2 motherboard you just install it and use it with the "brand" / "tattoo" information that it already had burned into its firmware at the factory (you can't overwrite that).  Since most of these workstations already came with W7Pro64 or the downgrade rights to W7Pro64 from W8 it is highly likely that a used motherboard will be branded with the codes that will allow you to use your W7Pro64 HP OEM COA Restore installer optical discs that came with the workstation new.  I don't use 8... just 7 or 10; just Pro and 64-bit versions.

Many have lost/trashed those discs.... the motherboards all can take a W7Pro64 install from MS System Builder media, but with a bit more homework.  All can take W10Pro64 too.  It is not a C602 issue.

Scott

HP Recommended

SDH is again right with his information previously posted.

however i wish to comment on two things

1. motherboard revisions,

for the z400/600/800 and their newer 420/620/620 hp workstations the only physical diffrence

between the boards besides the bios bootblock date is the actual intel chip REVISION. Intel made physical changes to the chipset sillicon to allow newer cpu's to work reliably so while the chipset number stayed the same, the revision letter changed  it's due to this chipset change that HP has two bios bootblock dates for each chipset revision

2. entering a new motherboard UUID number (and other information) if prompted to do so you only get one chance to write this so take your time. if you get it wrong the board will still work but windows retail and some software may no longer work untill updated with the new UUID information you entered

3. Windows OS

there is some confusion between retail windows 7 Keys and OEM keys (they do not interchange) also if you have the windows key label on your system microsoft will usually activate the retail OS over the phone

4.OEM versions of win 7

there is the win 7 OEM disks that are supplied by the tier one venders (dell, hp, lenovo, acer and so on) that have auto activation (they self activate when installed) and will usually install on any system from the same mfgr as it was made for

there is also the 3rd tier OEM windows 7system builders pack that smaller computer makers/shops use which do not self activate and use a serial number to activate which binds that copy to the motherboard and in general can not be xfered to another motherboard

for those OEM 3rd users that have to call ms to get a new activation code based on the existing stickers number be advised that MS may stop doing this when the drop win 7 support in 17 months

this link is a good primer on the win 7 versions and activation methods

https://www.zdnet.com/article/what-microsoft-wont-tell-you-about-windows-7-licensing/

HP Recommended

I will add several points to this:

1) There is a win7 installer called "multiOEM" that will also allow a legal branded copy of 7 on an OEM that was licensed for 7.  Instructions on how to build this are on the Internet.  It is complex, advanced sysadmin stuff and if you can't find it via Google you have no business building it.

2) Microsoft is effectively giving free activations on windows 10 on any system licensed for 7.  They do not officially admit this but it's been reported multiple places.  I've updated a number of machines this way and I always urge customers to switch as there is no guarantee they won't turn off the activation servers tomorrow.

3) It is, IMHO, imperative when discuss 7 installations to stress that it is the HEIGHT of irresponsibility for a tech to install a windows 7 system as of this date unless it is absolutely required.  And "I like windows 7 better" is NOT good enough.  Windows 7 security patches will end in a little more than a year and I guarantee to you that the crackers have been "saving up" a whole host of security flaws and cracks in windows 7 just waiting for February 2020 to release them.  As of February 2020 your Windows 7 system will be virus infected unless it's not plugged into the Internet.  COUNT ON IT.  Yes I know you don't like windows 10.  Quit whining like a baby.  You chose the Microsoft Way and when you do you do it THEIR way or else.  If you don't like it - then switch to Linux.  Or stick your windows 10 objections in a deep dark hole and sit on them.  You don't own Windows you run it only by Microsoft's graces for as long as they tell you.  It is THEIR operating system NOT yours.  If you really want to own an OS - you load Linux.  THAT is yours.  Windows AIN'T.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.