Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Hp z420

Im building a pc at the moment using the z420 motherboard and I cannot see where the front io buttons like the power and reset, are supposed to be plugged in, can someone help me please, as soon as possible.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

those are custom to HP and there secret😎

HP does not sell DIY mobo, DOES NOT. (buy ASUS or GIGABYTE and not ever worry again.)

you can send the board back to ebay or whomever.

or buy the missing parts. you forget to buy with the secret MOBO.

2 choices, 

3: buy the PC whole and complete sure.

NO warranty answers by me.
HP Recommended

You're going to need this part for reasons that will be clear when you read my notations added to these images.  This will cost you a little over $20.00 USD used from eBay.  That thermisitor is a key to doing what you are wanting to do.  These workstations are not built on the ATX standards.... they are custom and you don't want to go too cheap.  You will be able to see the pictures when a moderator releases them.

What you need.jpg662817-002.jpg

HP Recommended

The pins along that bottom that match to the plug end of the part in the pictures should be obvious.  If not get back and I'll send you another picture.  Getting front USB3 running is significantly more complex...

HP Recommended

so true all, Ive done this on lots of Dells too.

the jacks are NOT documented at all.  so buy them or learn how to reverse eng. the jacks.

the correct answer is, was....

1. buy the wrong mobo from ebay (not from great Asus or Gigabyte which are documented)
  2. see it does not work ! HP or Dells same. missing key parts.  switch ,sensors and front panels..
  3. see there is no jacks pinouts, manual (zero doc) a secret.
  4. then back to ebay and buy all parts you forgot in step one,  there is your answer.
NO warranty answers by me.
HP Recommended

I also have found that my time and hassle has some monetary value... 

It is not very inexpensive to piece one of these custom engineered workstations together via eBay adventures.  A wiser choice is to learn how to differentiate the v2 from the earlier less capable v1 version and then buy a v2 with lowest level processor in it at the lowest price including shipping.  Then buy the latest version sSpec code of the v2 Xeon you want to run.  Many of those will have only one sSpec code, so that makes things easier.

Here is where that cable plugs in:

Z420 Z620.jpg

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.