1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Z420's PSU super loud and POST error messages

HP Recommended
HP Z420 Workstation
Linux

Hello,

I recently bought an HP Z420 workstation (second hand) but as the case was broken the previous owner had to change the case, which would be fine if it didn't mean me getting POST messages ! The thing is, I mean to use the computer as a server, and I can't get it to bypass some POST errors, such as "517 - memory fan not detected", "940 front 1394 not detected" and "512-Rear chassis fan not detected", and as such, when I reboot the computer, I have no choice but to physically press F1, highly bothering if I am not physically there !

And I have a second problem, even more annoying : after starting, the psu's fan ramps up in power until BIOS, calms down for half a second then blows at max speed, making an awful lot of noise, even in the BIOS (or at POST) and won't calm down until I power the computer off, which is a huge bother to me since I plan on putting the computer in my living room and I can't have a vacuum-like noise the whole time.

My BIOS is up-to-date if it matters.

Thanks in advance,

Benjamin

1 REPLY 1
Skylarking
Level 6
382 369 22 66
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP uses special data within the motherboard firmware to configure certain behaviours within your system. Such data is defined within manufacture or nmotherbaord replacement. 

Have a look at this thread and the links within to gain some understanding of the issues.

Since you don't have the original case, you wont have the case lables that list FeatureByte, BuildID, Product Name, SKU, Serial number and other such data which should be defined within the system firmware (BIOS).

You can look at what is currently defined within BIOS via pressing CTRL and A keys and going to <Security> <System IDs>. You can look at but not change much of that special data AND you can't check that such special data is indeed correct if you don't know what they should be (no lables...).

If many of these fields are empty, you can enter new values (only once) and they will be saved BUT your problem is that without the lables on the case you have no idea what should be entered in such fields within BIOS.

Also, HP cases are built rather solidly so other than falling of a truck/table/down stairs or left in the rain, i can't see any reason that the case would need replacing. And if such did occur, does anyone want components from a case that has taken such a beating as the basis of their server?

So, if this system doesn't work for you and you can return it for a full refund, do so. Then go and buy something that is whole/complete/unmolested and you'd be happier in the long run.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation