Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I got a 4 beep code one second apart, kept pushing the start button and she started up but now I'm worried that when I shut down it will happen again, Should I install the newer BIOS, hate to do that because I know it could mean doomsday.

I have win 10 pro 64 BIOS version 2.8 or HP M60 v02.48, 4/11/19.

New BIOS I believe is 2.50 not installed.

I did get the 4 beep code before it was about 3 months ago, I cleaned the memory module pins with  Isopropyl alcohol and it started right up but who knows if that was really the problem or not.

Before this problem, I also got the 4 beep code about a year ago, at the time I had onsite support, an HP tech came out and changed the motherboard, well he actually came 3 times first time he changed the motherboard and the new one was bad, he came back and changed the motherboard and the CPU and that also didn't work, he came back the 3rd time and the motherboard worked but he bent a pin and was going to come back again with another new motherboard. When he called me to set a time to install it I told him the Z440 had been working fine and I was not sure if he should install the new one and we finally decided to not install a new one, but I asked him to  report that he had bent a pin on the last one he installed just in case I ran into problems again.  One other thing that I just want to add and am wondering if anyone else has had it happen. I'm 99 present sure I had onsite support for 3 years, it only been 2 years and now on the support page it states that I only have 1 year online and  phone support.

Hope there is someone that can help me, it will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Getting a used power supply for your workstation currently off eBay is quite inexpensive (about $45.00 USD), and the beep codes are pointing to that being your issue.  Swapping in a power supply is a 15 minute job if that.  Low risk, low cost.

Hearing that it was a bent pin on a motherboard header.... non-issue if it was not shorting across the adjacent pins.  I'd get a power supply and swap it in and go from there.  These beeps tend to be accurate.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Thanks for the information.  About the foolishness, for one, it was not a CPU pin, it was a pin on what may have been a header, really I don't remember exactly where it was but definitely was not the CPU. For 2 the guy was here for probably 20 hours all together, toward the end I had my doubts that he really new what he was doing, I also had doubt at the start because I asked some questions and he did not have a clue what I was talking about. He also had no ESD protection, I had to tell him to hold the power button to discharge the system. Last but not least, at one point and this was a very bad experience he had thought that my drives had had been wiped or failed and all my data was lost, it took about hour hours but he did get everything working again and that only happened because I demanded he try to fix it before replacing. I did a lot up reading before he came and I mentioned that I thought it was probably the PSU but that fell on deaf ears. I was really worried that if he installed another motherboard he might screw everything up. In hindsight I probably should have let him try and maybe they would have had to replace the **bleep** thing altogether, but at the time I just was very worried and was probably not thinking at 100% capacity. All that said, I do appreciate your reply.

HP Recommended

He was a very nice gentleman but I think maybe his strong tech strengths were beyond this truthfully.   It could also be that he was very tired, he had to drive almost 4 hours to get here and that was after a network set up he was doing for a large company. I'm pretty sure HP didn't push him to hard it was himself.  I had work that needed to be done I could wait any longer it was the second time he came out. I did what I had to do. Again, I do appreciate your help. Thank you.

HP Recommended

Just to be clear, I was not slamming the HP tech that come out. He is a great guy and knew his stuff to be sure, there were just a few things I was not real happy about and like I mentioned I think he was over working himself.

Please pay no attention to my other post related to this subject, I'm talking about timelines that I mentioned.

As I did mention in the other post I received a 4 beep code, 4 beeps 2 second pause. It had been determined that it was the motherboard, Hp installed a new motherboard and the workstation worked great for about a year or more (pay no attention to timeline) I believe. Then I received the 4 beep cord again, this was maybe 2 months ago, at the time I pulled all the memory modules 8x8 of them, I cleaned them with Isopropyl Alcohol, then reinstalled the memory modules, and she started back up. Now when I first posted this thread I had received the beep code yet again. Last night  I   pulled the memory again cleaned it again, reinstalled it and she started right up.  Also, when I first bought the computer it came with only one memory stick, over time I added 7 more, when I installed the 8th stick that is when I got the first 4 beep code, I pulled that stick and the computer started, that is when I contacted HP, they said probably bad memory module  so I bought another one and received the same beep code again with the new one and that was when HP sent someone out.

HP Recommended

Getting a used power supply for your workstation currently off eBay is quite inexpensive (about $45.00 USD), and the beep codes are pointing to that being your issue.  Swapping in a power supply is a 15 minute job if that.  Low risk, low cost.

Hearing that it was a bent pin on a motherboard header.... non-issue if it was not shorting across the adjacent pins.  I'd get a power supply and swap it in and go from there.  These beeps tend to be accurate.

HP Recommended

Well. I have to say that does sounds like the best route forward. I had planed on doing the BST test that DGroves recommended,  but at the last minute I thought I would try just cleaning the memory again just to see if it would work.  

I did look PSUs up on eBay and yes used are very reasonable, as I was contemplating buying one I thought I'd really like to have a new one, but like you mention used can be had very cheap and if I get a bad one, no big deal I buy another one and still be under the cost of a new one. I'm getting old sometimes my thinking can get narrow. Thanks for widening. I will do the BST test also just to make sure.

Thank you both for the help it is very much appreciated. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.