Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z440
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Installing a LSI 9217-4i4e SAS controller in a new Z440. The Z440 manual shows the various RAID configurations, no problem there.

I'm wondering if I can specify a RAID 1 with a pair of SAS disks - and - then connect another two SAS drives to this controller, but just have them be ordinary (non-RAID) disks. I have always liked SAS drives for their durability, as compared to SATA. By using, say, the same model SAS drives for both the array and for ordinary storage, it would be a simple maintenance arrangement.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes, you can install all 4 drives and at the time of creating RAID -1 array just add 2x HDDs as RAID disks and leave 2x HDDs as non-raid disks. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Yes, you can install all 4 drives and at the time of creating RAID -1 array just add 2x HDDs as RAID disks and leave 2x HDDs as non-raid disks. 

HP Recommended

Thank you! I like to set up workstations with SAS drives for peace of mind. I pretty much run them until their OSs ar eout of date, then start again.

I'm retiring an HP Z210 with 4x 300GB SAS drives running Windows 7. LSI RAID controller, but set up for non-RAID operation.

The new Z440 will by 2x 2tb SAS RAID 1 for OS and programs, 2x 2tb SAS for data that gets backed up by my NAS.

If I wanted to be a little crazy, I suppose I could configure the 2 non-RAID drives as a pair of ordinary SATA RAID drives using HP's built-in controller but I've never worked with any of those... I like to have separate drives for OS/programs and data, an old habit.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.