Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Thank you!

I already ordered two x5570 and I am downloading the BIOS version 3.60.

In the company where I bought the HP Z600 they tell me that the X56xx processors do work but I think you know the Z600 better than they do.

Tomorrow I will buy thermal paste "Noctua" and I am investigating where to be able to buy the memory ram (48 gigas are supported?).

As for capacity in a short time I will put an SSD disk and a 2TB disk as I use the Z600 for photo editing.

Thank you very much for the help! 

HP Recommended

Happy to help.... there was a post a while back that got locked by a moderator, and there was some discussion towards the end about using 5600 series processors in the version 1 Z600s.  A well respected HP engineer who helps in this forum has addressed that..... it might boot but expect unstable results (from another post quite some time ago).

The poster on the locked thread had gotten his v1 Z600 to boot with a 5600 series processor in it.  After that post got locked the original poster got back to me via personal message and confirmed that his v1 Z600 was unstable, and thus the HP engineer's advice was correct.  The last thing you want is an intermittently unstable workstation.

I don't know about running six 8GB ECC unbuffered memory sticks in a v1 Z600.

Best of luck to you...... Scott

HP Recommended

Z600 V1 will boot with 5600 series CPU. But only with one CPU-dual 5600 is not supported.

HP Recommended

I'm not sure and I'd rather not risk, in addition, two X56xx processors are more expensive than two X55 processors (a difference of about 100 euros in my case) and I think the need for 4 more cores is not very big for me at the moment.

I looked for this machine in particular (a Z600 or a Dell T5500) and I think I have not failed with the decision. Despite his age, I think this machine still has a long life.

Thanks to all for the help :generic:

HP Recommended

Hello, I have a HP Z600 Workstation with two x5650 (2.6Ghz), apparently it would be possible to change them for x5690 (3.4Ghz) that it is possible to find from 160 € pair. (which is a reasonable price).

This update is potentially possible only if you install the cpus radiators version extreme (130w).

Apart from these being rare, some people take advantage to sell used versions between two and four times the price of new ... (between 100 € and 200 € ... piece).

Is it not possible to prevent this kind of speculation? and buy these radiators at a reasonable price on your site?
Thank you in advance for your attention and your response.

@ +
*_*

HP Recommended

Zarck,

I have not seen posted here any report from individuals I really trust saying they are successfully running one or two X5690 processors on the Z600 version 2 (the later boot block date).  I have not tried this myself, but I have successfully run two of the fastest quad core (X5672) and two of the fastest hexacore (X5675) processors that HP certified for this version 2 workstation.  Both of these Z600 workstations are very fast and very stable.  They both only need the common "Mainstream" heatsinks/fans because both of these processors run at 95W max TDP.  The cost for two of either of these processors on release was $2880.00 USD.

I have posted here about successfully running one X5690 in a version 2 (later boot block date) Z400, and also about the fact that HP may have specifically allowed the X5690 to run in the Z400 version 2 (it only has one socket).  In that specific case HP did not have to worry much about the heat issues... the Z400 is limited to only one processor.  This contrasts with trying to run two of those in a Z600 where two sockets are present and thus two X5690 processors might overload a Z600's cooling capacity.

There is no magic in the fan for a Performance heatsink other than the jumper wire from pin 1 to pin 5 I have posted about.  That fan wiring is the only way the motherboard knows a "Performance" heatsink/fan is screwed on.

Those X5690 processors run hot and also are high in cost (the Apple folks love them, thus more competetion).  So, currently my advice is to stick with not trying one or two X5690 processors on the Z600 version 2 workstations until someone you really trust proves that it can be done.  I can personally attest to success with the X5690 running perfectly in the version 2 Z400.  I cannot attest to that for the version 2 Z600, and have seen too many reports that it does not work with the version 2 Z600 that I now believe it actually cannot be done regardless of what heatsin/fan one might use.

Scott

HP Recommended

I think I'll try two X5675 at first.

This will limit the cost and risk of failure.

Thank you for your reply.

@ +

*_*

HP Recommended

Hi I have a Z600 and I have 2 Xeon e5570 cpu with 48GB ram both running at 3.4gb per core so 4 core and 8 thread per CPU. 

I am running bios version 3.16 on PCB FAB 1.0 

With WD SSD 120 GB and 2 X Toshiba 2tb SATA drives.

Hope that helps a bit anything else just ask

HP Recommended

Ram model??? I want to expand the capacity of RAM

HP Recommended

What is needed is the boot block date of the Z600 mentioned just above.  The fact that the person is using the 55xx rather than the 56xx generation of processors does not mean that it is one of the version 1 Z600s.  The version 2 Z600s can also run the older 55xx generatin processors.

And, the exact brand/type of 8GB memory sticks being used in that workstation would be worth knowing if you also know the version of the motherboard......

Take a look on eBay at "500205-071 Nanya" with the green heat spreader......

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.