Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

I know this is an older thread but for anyone looking to buy one of the hp z workstations buyer beware:

These come with custom power supply units and it is a nightmare replacing or upgrading the power supply.

I got the exact same workstation the op asked about and can confirm.

HP Recommended

z600 power supplies are hardly a nightmare to replace as the units are available used on ebay and from numerous resellers that service the workstation/server market

you can also buy a 16 to 24 pin power supply adapter to allow usage of a normal standard 600watt (or better) ATX supply

from numerous resellers

https://www.moddiy.com/products/HP-Z600-PSU-Main-Power-24%252dPin-to-18%252dPin-Adapter-Cable-%2830c...

HP Recommended

The problem is that hp uses a proprietary psu in their z workstations and as such 

all I can find for the original form factor are refurbished units. 

How long before these are all junk?

Also, if you try to replace it with an ATX even with the adapter

you still have to completely disassemble the CD bay to make room for 

an ATX form factor psu. Then there's the question of securing it to the chassis in 

an extremely awkward config. You then also have to have the power cable come out the front

port. 

Trust me, I just tried doing this.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/hp-z600-psu-issues-using-an-atx-psu-atx-24-pin-male-to-male-...

I've seen vidoes on YT where this isn't an issue with the hp z420 but for the z600 it is a mess.

The proprietary form factor only goes up to 650 watts from what I can tell so it's also

very limiting. 

HP Recommended

instead of trying to make it seem hard (it isn't) replacing the power supply and implying that used units are suspect (they are not as many sellers of used units give a warranty) consider the following

1. the time/steps to replace the power supply are the same no matter if it's the original supply or a ATX unit the only extra step's are opening up the z600 supply and swapping in the ATX supply board, then attaching the 18 to 24 pin adapter, ( a 10-15 sec extra step)

2. replacement power supplies being sold are no diffrent than the ones currently in use in working systems and are no more likely to fail

3. if a used suppply bothers you UNUSED, NOS (new old stock) supplies are also available from numerous resellers and directly from HP

4. if you buy/have the correct sized AXT supply, it's psu board is  a drop in replacement size wise for the original HP unit with minimal changes needed for the board mount locations

your statement that replacing the supply is hard to do and hard to find and used supplies are likely to fail is wrong and in my opinion a diservice to the readers on this forum as i have pointed out they are available new or used from numerous sources (including HP), or can be replaced with a correctly sized AXT supply that is new or used using a cheap 15 dollar 18 to 24 pin adapter

HP Recommended

I think it's infuriating that you're trying to imply that I'm trying to mislead people or that I'm incompetent.

You're literally hearing from someone who has actually been trying to replace the powers supply in

this specific model and still refuse to listen to what I'm saying.

There isn't an ATX power supply at 650 watts or greater that will fit in the area available without dissambling

the chassis. Specificially you would have to dissassemble the cd bay mount by unscrewing and removing the whole

bay. 

I was going to go and grab a tape measure to provide exact dimensions of the available area but this is a waste of time.

Do you work for HP or something?

It's a shortcoming of the product and people should be made aware of it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.