10 7 0 0
Message 1 of 13
Flag Post

Z600 bricked at firmware upgrade

HP Recommended
Z600
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Dears,

After upgrading the BIOS to the 3.61 version, my Z600 with the mainboard SP#591184-001  ASS#460840-003 bricked giving 1 beep, repeated 3 times after intervals, and turning off.

At the manual and at the side cover is indicated a "crisis recovery jumper" but it doesn't correspond to the mainboard design version and have no explanation on how to use it.

There is a way to solve-it?

12 REPLIES 12
DGroves
Level 11
4,488 4,471 407 937
Message 2 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

from the HP z600 service manual (which you can download from HP)

check HP codes from link below

bios recovery  steps for the z workstations have been previously posted, use the search box to locate 

this is for the z "x"20 models  the general stepts also apply to the z600 only the jumper numbers/location will be diffrent
0 Kudos
Isaac18
Author
Level 1
10 7 0 0
Message 3 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for your answer, but I have already tried the instructions above and they didin't work.

The side cover and the service manual indicates a "crisis recovery jumper"  with 4 pins in a place that have only 2 pins and at the motherboard is not written anything about the jumper number.

At this motherboard there are another jumpers not indicated at the service manual neither at the side cover.

It is necessary a service manual of this specific model of the mainboard. It exist?

0 Kudos
DGroves
Level 11
4,488 4,471 407 937
Message 4 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

for the HP service manual Google is your friend,.... try " HP z600 service manual  ", and watch the magic

you can go the same magic on this site with the SEARCH BOX, simply enter in the keywords and it will show all items that match in this forum or all forums if you tell it to do so

SDH may also be able to help you, while he has z620's  he might also have a z600 if so he moght have some information

about bios recovery for the z600

0 Kudos
Isaac18
Author
Level 1
10 7 0 0
Message 5 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank's again for the answer Dgroves!

I tried all  the Google searches about and I didn't find any references for this specific model of the Z600 mainboard with the real jumpers they have. No way to find the correct crisis recovery jumper working!

Let's wait for a tip from someone that knows the mainboard, because the existing service manual is for another version.

0 Kudos
DGroves
Level 11
4,488 4,471 407 937
Message 6 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

the z600 has 2 motherboard revisions the original and the later rev 2 board with 6 memory sockets

the only diffrences between the two boards is the rev 2 can run 55xx and 56xx series xeons and has 6 mem slots,

the orig board is 55xx only and has 4 mem slots as i recall

while the jumper locations may be diffrent between the two boards,  the jumper numbering will not change so j55 is the same between the two boards got it?

0 Kudos
Isaac18
Author
Level 1
10 7 0 0
Message 7 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Dear Dgroves,

Thank you again for your attention but the Z600 I have is the SP#591184-001  AS#460840-003  REV AL

If you search at Google, you can find AS#460840-001  -002 and -003 and REV AM too,  and there is only one service manual where the jumpers do not correspond with the description .

At my mainboard, at the place that shoud be the jumper E15 with 4 pins, there is a 2 pins jumper with no written description around it.

I tried all the suggestions to use the "crisis recovery jumper" I found (Z420, Z620, Z820...)  for this jumper with no success.

The real problem is that there is no service manual for this version of mainboard!!

0 Kudos
SDH
Level 10
2,273 2,227 211 657
Message 8 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

A pattern I'm starting to see is that motherboard bricking is happening more commonly when using these latest BIOS updaters if the built in BIOS updat application is run from within Windows 10 rather than Windows 7.

That is how I bricked one of our Z620 motherboards..... took the short cut and ran it from within W10Pro64.

And, that is why I emphasize that it is better/safer to run these BIOS update process from within BIOS.  I've said this over and over here, yet did not follow my own advice, and got bit.

There is an upside, however.... that is why I learned about the crisis recovery jumper method for the Z620, and the info is in here if you just search a bit.  There is also a crisis recovery jumper for the ZX00 generation of workstations.  Make sure to read up on the method first.

I'd do that as a first step.  You might then wish to roll back your BIOS, which is a different but related process.

0 Kudos
Isaac18
Author
Level 1
10 7 0 0
Message 9 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

There are  only 2 pins jumper at the place of the 3 pins that should have (described at the service manual and at the side cover of the Z600).

Anyway I tried to use what should be at the E15 place for the crisis recovery jumper closing the 2 pins there (originaly open) but the workstation turns off very quick not having time to boot from the USB Flash device with a "non-NTFS formatted small USB2 drive with the target BIOS .bin file on it".

My main problem is to avoid the rapid shutdown of the Z600.

0 Kudos
Isaac18
Author
Level 1
10 7 0 0
Message 10 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Dear,

The main problem with my mainboard is that it shutsdown after some seconds not giving time to do anything.

Is it possible to roll back to the previous BIOS version? How?

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation