Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z600
Linux

I recently got a second hand Z600, on which I am dual booting between Windows and Linux. It has BIOS version 3.57, which is not the latest one. I am hesitating to upgrade to the latest available version (3.60):

• Everything seems to work pretty well with the present BIOS versions, except for some minor annoyances which may or may not disappear with a new version: I can only enter the BIOS setup with a PS/2 keyboard (not USB), I get an error message on every boot (an ACPI error), and the initial part of the boot sequence is quite slow.
  • Once upgraded it is not possible to downgrade again. Could it be that some things will stop working (like new security measures that make it impossible to dual boot or run Linux)
  • Is it possible that the upgrade goes wrong and I brick my machine?

Could anyone advise?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I would recommend updating your BIOS to the latest.  There are reasons those come out.....

I have updated BIOS in HP workstations for years, and never ever have had an issue.  The safest way is to update your BIOS from within BIOS.  Use this forum's search bar, top left corner area, to find info already posted on that including where to find the .bin file.

You can update BIOS from within Windows, but there is a bit of added risk.  That said, I have done it for years both ways and never had an issue.  I just switched about 3 years ago to from within BIOS because it is quicker and has that bit less risk.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

I would recommend updating your BIOS to the latest.  There are reasons those come out.....

I have updated BIOS in HP workstations for years, and never ever have had an issue.  The safest way is to update your BIOS from within BIOS.  Use this forum's search bar, top left corner area, to find info already posted on that including where to find the .bin file.

You can update BIOS from within Windows, but there is a bit of added risk.  That said, I have done it for years both ways and never had an issue.  I just switched about 3 years ago to from within BIOS because it is quicker and has that bit less risk.

HP Recommended

I just did it, it was very simple and everything still seems to work. Moreover, no error messages anymore! Thanks!

HP Recommended

From within BIOS, or from within OS?

HP Recommended
From within the BIOS
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.