Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SDH
Level 10
2,271 2,225 211 654
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Z620 - Can UUID be transferred to new motherboard?

HP Recommended
Z620 Z420

Here is the situation:  I want to upgrade a v1 Z620 to the v2 motherboard type, and have a brand new v2 one, unopened box.  I am learning about how to "brand" (as in brand a cow), also known as how to "tattoo" this generation of HP workstation motherboards.  I will post a HowTo when it is all done.

We use some software that is locked to the UUID of the motherboard.  I want to copy and transfer the UUID from the original v1 motherboard to the v2 motherboard.  The v1 motherboard will be kept in storage as a backup.  It still works fine.

I know how to "brand/tattoo" onto a fresh new motherboard using the CTRL+A method the Product Name, Serial Number, SKU NUmber (= Product Number), the Feature Byte, and the Build ID.  Many of these can only be branded on once, and are locked on thereafter.

The big question is:  During this phase of branding is the UUID open to re-branding from what the new v2 motherboard came with over to the UUID of my original v1 Z620 motherboard?

There are some fine details that I'll post about later, but this is a step I need to fully understand before I start the project.

Thanks for any input......

Tags (1)
1 REPLY 1
joselso
Level 4
107 91 5 16
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Please note that there may be a 'twist' to the situation you describe:

In your new V2 Z620, HP may have installed some software applications and useful tools that are locked to the UUID of that  motherboard.

Once you change the UUID, you might find that you are unable to access that HP software that may be useful to you.

So, do a thorough check on what kind of HP software you need in the new Z620, and find out whether some of it is indeed locked to the UUID. Then weigh the advantages and disadvantages of changing UUID just for the specific software you want to install.

If it is a commercial software, see if for a small fee the 'UUID lock' can be transferred to the new Z620 by an agreement with the original suppliers of the software, rather than change the UUID with unforeseen results. 

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation