Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Z620 Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi to all,

I have a problem with the Z620 and a DVD drive.
I have 4 SSD's connected to the board.

1 SSD (950Pro) is connected to a PCIe as a boot drive
2 SSD are sonnected to the SATA 6GB/s ports (grey ports)

1 SSD is connected to the black SATA port 3GB/s

All the 3 SSDs are running under the Intel RSTe & AHCI Win Drivers 4.7.0.1119

When I connect the DVD drive to the second black SATA Port I'm running in trouble. Sometimes when I boot up the machine I get a stop error or soetimes during my work. (iaStor error)

When I put the DVD drive to one of the SCU ports the boot up takes a very long time (but it's boots up after waiting) and the DVD drive will be shown in Windows 10

Can someone tell me what is going wrong when I connect the DVD drive to the second or third black SATA port and why the boot up takes so long when I connect the DVD drive to one of the SCU ports. I do not know if I'm using the lastest available Intel RSTe for this board and Windows 10 _x64.

The Bios is the latest available bios 3.96

Many thanks for any help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@DGroves wrote:

you need to redo the OS, with the DVD attached and Legacy/UEFI enabled in the bios

also, unless you boot from a 2TB or larger disk or require secure boot, do not use GPT for the OS install

you can test this by using a single test drive in the system (disconnect/remove 950 pro and other ssd's)

reinstall the Os using the above config and i suspect the delay will be gone

i've seen this issue a few times when the os was installed and then a DVD/CDrom drive was attached and currently the only fix i know about is a os reinstall

Thanks for you answer. I reinstalled the Intel  RSTe, connected the DVD again the the SATA port 4 and after this the error was gone.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

first of all, the samsung 950 pro IS NOT using the intel RSTe driver it's either using the samsung ssd or the windows generic SSD driver. the RSTe driver is only for the motherboard SATA ports as you indicate

quick question, was the system setup as a GPT system WITHOUT A DVD INSTALLED and only the 950 pro installed?

if you had the other drives connected, and they were a larger size than the 950 windows may have placed some windows system files on one of these drives to test remove all drives except for the 950 and the DVD, and try to boot if it boots normally and fast, connect ONE MORE ssd and retest the boot if one specific ssd causes the slowdown let us know

also enter the bios and see if Legacy mode is enabled (if not do so) next check the boot order of listed devices in both the UEFI and Legacy sections set DVD to first (topmost) device in both lists

HP Recommended

@DGroves wrote:

first of all, the samsung 950 pro IS NOT using the intel RSTe driver it's either using the samsung ssd or the windows generic SSD driver. the RSTe driver is only for the motherboard SATA ports as you indicate

I Know that the 950 will not shown under the RSTe, because it's connected as PCIe. That's ok

quick question, was the system setup as a GPT system WITHOUT A DVD INSTALLED and only the 950 pro installed?

Yes - I installed WIN10 only with the 950 Pro installed

also enter the bios and see if Legacy mode is enabled (if not do so) next check the boot order of listed devices in both the UEFI and Legacy sections set DVD to first (topmost) device in both lists

The system stands all to EFI and "Secure Boot is disabled. If I enable "Legacy" than the 950 Pro will not seen as boot drive. And the DVD ROM drive is the top most in Boot order.

As I told - the system will boot but it will take its time.

Is it possible to connect the DVD drive to the SCU Port?

What is the best RSTe software package for Windows 10. What package should I use and where can I found this. HP offers only a 4.0 version.

When I connect the DVD drive to the SCU port the systems runs but booting takes long. Do I connect the DVD drive to the black SATA port I sometimes get a blue screen during boot phase (windows)

RSTe connectionsRSTe connections

HP Recommended

you need to redo the OS, with the DVD attached and Legacy/UEFI enabled in the bios

also, unless you boot from a 2TB or larger disk or require secure boot, do not use GPT for the OS install

you can test this by using a single test drive in the system (disconnect/remove 950 pro and other ssd's)

i've seen this issue a few times when the os was installed and then a DVD/CDrom drive was attached and currently the only fix i know about is a os reinstall

HP Recommended

@DGroves wrote:

Thanks for you answer. I reinstalled the Intel  RSTe, connected the DVD again the the SATA port 4 and after this the error was gone.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.