DoubleJJones
5 4 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Z620 SSD upgrade, locks on boot if HDD is present, SSD is electable media

HP Recommended
Z620 V1
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Greetings.  I am having a few troubles with my Z620 after upgrading the WDB HDD to a Samsung860 Evo SSD

Specs:  Z620 boot block date 2011

OS: Win 7 Pro 64 bit clean install (tried to clone the drives with Acronis and Samsung migration 6+ times, all attempts failed)

CPU: Single e5-2690

Ram: 64 GB

Storage Drives involved:  Samsung 860 EVO (New primary boot drive), Western Digital Black 1TB (Previous primary), Western Digital Green 2TB (Mass storage drive)

Initial attempts to clone the primary drive from the WDB to the SSD failed. Multiple attempts using various programs lead to the same problem: Boot MGR missing.  

After arguing with both Microsoft and HP about the lack of support for Win 7 install or repair media (thats another conversation) i finally got my old laptop up and running enough to make a bootable usb.

I did finally, after many trials and tribulations, get a clean install of Win 7 Pro on the Samsung SSD ... which is what i am using right now to type this.  But i do have a few issues:

The first (Minor) is that the SSD is listed under the task manager as ejectable media.  Is there a way to get rid of this? 

The second probelm (major) is that the system will hang at the windows starting screen if my 2TB mass storage WDGreen drive is plugged into the system in any way (Drive bays, SATA to USB adapter).  This is immensely frustrating as the storage drive has never had windows installed on it, though it may have a backup image hidden somewhere. The Original primary WDB HDD is not in the system when this happens.

Also, the system, on boot up, does not always recognize the SSD and tries, subsequently failing, to load an intel boot manager.  shutting down, unplugging, and releasing the stored charge (by holding the power button while the system is unplugged) usually solves this issue. 

Any help would be appreciated as the system has been troublesome since i bought it last year ... I am very close to ditching it due to too many problems to deal with.

5 REPLIES 5
DGroves
Level 11
4,494 4,477 409 938
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

you appear to have a misconfigured windows install

do you have a  HP branded windows 7 install disk? if not buy one off of ebay, disconnect all drives except for the drive you want to install the OS on and run the installer from the cd disk

this will allow you to install windows and have it self activate without any problems

however if your current install is activated and windows 7 prof, then i recomend you download the windows 10 installer and create a USB key based installer of windows 10, then boot into windows 7 (not win 10), go to the usb key and from there run the windows 10 installer. doing it this way will make win 10 check for a  activated win 7 and use this to activate win 10 on the z620  once win 10 installs and connects to the internet it's activated and you can then do a clean install of win 7 using the HP restore cd knowing that you can in the future simply install win 10 and it will still be activated

0 Kudos
DoubleJJones
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

DGroves,

I was hoping to get around this without having to buy a new copy of Windows ... or will Windows 10 installer simply downgrade to win 7?

The SSD problems are, for the most part, gone now.  The computer has booted flawlessly for the last month from the SSD, though i am still unable to attach any mass storage drive to the system without causing a boot lock.   Ill snag a HP branded boot CD off of ebay this week and see if that will properly repair the current install.  I am not thrilled about moving to windows 10, to be honest.  

0 Kudos
DGroves
Level 11
4,494 4,477 409 938
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

if windows 7 pro was installed and upgrased to windows 10 pro, the motherboard will have a MS generated windows 10 digital license (which is locked to that motherboard)  all you have to do is reinstall win 10 pro, and skip the serial part, appon connection to the internet the OS will contact MS servers and self activate

if no upgrade to win 10 was ever done, then simply buy a HP labled win 7 pro x64 install disk or a retail win 7 pro x64 disk/key from ebay

install the OS, then go to ms site DL the win 10 pro (usb key perfered) image, create the USB key and from WITHIN WINDOWS,

go to the usb key and run win 10 setup file

you will loose all win 7 files as it's a clean upgrade to win 10, but will get a valid digital license for win 10

0 Kudos
DoubleJJones
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I got Win 10 installed, and it seems to have corrected the problems with the WDBlack.  I have been able to boot, (and subsequently format) the WDBlack drive and it seems to be working well.  

I am currently  making a install usb for Win10 for safe keeping.

The WDGreen, however, still causes full lock if it is installed at any time. 

Scenario 1) Booting with the WDG 2TB drive will lock at the windows10 loading screen, kicking the system into repair mode after 5 minutes of loading, and untimately failing to repair.  Once this happens, Win10 will not boot at all, as none of the drives are recognized and the HPz620 tries to boot with an intel management system from bios.  REmoving the WDGreen Drive, unplugging the system power cord, pressing the power key while uplugged, then reattaching the power cord and rebooting solves this issue (cmos reset?).

Scenario 2) If i hotplug the drive after booting, Win10 locks and eventaully gives me the blue screen, resulting in the same outcome as Scenario 1.

If nothing else works, I can try a clean install of Win10 (rather than an upgrade, though i did select "keep nothing" at the win10 install screen) but i am beyond frustrated at this point.  This WDGreen is the backup drive for everything, including my business, so loss here is not an option. 

0 Kudos
Samy77
1 1 0 0
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Any update?

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation