Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Z620 Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Greetings,

I have bought a Z620 workstation 1 month ago  on air cooled system. I changed the original CPUs with 2x Xeon E5-2690 processors.

I found this scratchy noise when I change to "High performance" power plan. 

Also in Passmark test --> 2D MARK -   I could hear every action happening on screen by the intensity of noisy scratch. There were like 1000 images appearing fast, I could hear each of them.

Also in Passmark test --> DISK MARK -   this loud and continous noise while Read and Write sequential test was disturbing.

Do you know anything on this specific problem ?

35 REPLIES 35
HP Recommended

I found this video which is identical with my problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fcaBj3g474

HP Recommended

@JderulWoodsend wrote:

I found this video which is identical with my problem.

I had similar sounds in a Z420 - kind of like whining / grasshopper type sound, which intensified when e.g. there was heavy LAN activity. Not really sure what it was, the comments under the video indicate that this is supposedly a common occurance. In any case it was pretty annoying.

HP Recommended

Yes it is annoying if I keep it in 'High performance' Power plan.  Also it intensifies in the mentioned Passmark tests.

Someone in the video comments said he changed the motherboard and the problem is still there.

HP Recommended

@JderulWoodsend wrote:

Yes it is annoying if I keep it in 'High performance' Power plan.  Also it intensifies in the mentioned Passmark tests.

Someone in the video comments said he changed the motherboard and the problem is still there.

My feeling is that this is a type of coil whine coming from the chokes. Sometmes people put non conductive hot glue (from a glue gun ) on the chokes to stop the vibrations, this is actually what some PSU manufactures do in their power supplies.  

HP Recommended

Hi, have similar noice in my Z620. In my case, its constant on idle, and intesifies when i use network card. I noticed that if i run some testing software just on 1 core, that it will be 100% in use the noise dissapired. 

This is something connected with c-states and power section coils. Unfortunately there is no switch for this ip HP Bios, and if i lock it from windows registry its just disables the turbo mode, so not a solution either.

Any luck on your case? 

HP Recommended

@El_Sessero wrote:

Hi, have similar noice in my Z620. In my case, its constant on idle, and intesifies when i use network card. I noticed that if i run some testing software just on 1 core, that it will be 100% in use the noise dissapired. 

This is something connected with c-states and power section coils. Unfortunately there is no switch for this ip HP Bios, and if i lock it from windows registry its just disables the turbo mode, so not a solution either.

Any luck on your case? 

I had more or less the same symptoms with the Z420 .

My feeling is that there are two aspects to the problem: i) the motherboards themselves are pretty basic/ no frills in terms of design / power delivery / cooling etc. ii) a lot of the ex-corporate Zx20 which are now being bought second hand have been used rather intensively are now pretty worn out.

At the end of the days it is what it is - if you can accept the niggles then stay on the platform and benefit from the good performance / price ratio and if not then just move on to X99 or the X299.

HP Recommended

Your're probably right, mine is from 2013, so not that old, and this is my second unit from this reseller with that issue. Fortunately i have a 1 year resellers warranty on this unit, so best opption will be to return it as i assume it wont be easy to repair this issue.

I bought it mainly for looks 😄 and ofcourse low prise compared to x99 or even x299. If only cooling be any good in this.  

HP Recommended

@El_Sessero wrote:

Your're probably right, mine is from 2013, so not that old, and this is my second unit from this reseller with that issue. Fortunately i have a 1 year resellers warranty on this unit, so best opption will be to return it as i assume it wont be easy to repair this issue.

I bought it mainly for looks 😄 and ofcourse low prise compared to x99 or even x299. If only cooling be any good in this.  

In this video there are comments that this noise is pretty common and appears even when using a brand new HP motherboard:

So I am not sure that exchanging the machine would necesserily improve the situation.

HP Recommended

Yes, it is a common problem.

The HP Authorized seller replied to me that "the noise is normal to appear after a period of using the workstation, and if all the parts are working well, then there is no need to repair the power supply".

So I will have to have fun with this noise from now on.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.