Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Z620 Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I bought a used Z620 Workstation, it has a single processor E5-2670 only and 8 memory slots 4 of them are occupied with 64GB(4x16GB). What is the maximum memory I can install in it? Can I upgrade to 128GB of the same memory specs?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You probably already know some of this:

You have a version 2 Z620 with the later boot block date, and the capability to run the "v2" processors that HP certified for those workstations.  You have one of those already, the E5-2670 v2.  It is rated to run at the fastest FSB speed that workstation can, 1866 MHz.  It also can slow down to match presence of slower memory if need be (as in your case).  There is only one version of that processor, with sSpec code SR1A7, so you could add a second processor if you bought the riser that allows that.  That processor has 2 "QPI links" so the workstation can run with one or two of those processors.  Not all Z620 workstations came with dual QPI link processors so those can not run a second matching processor unless one started over.

Many of us run only one processor in our Z620 workstations, intentionally.  Bambi and Brian here have posted in detail on how to optimize and even overclock some of the HP certified processors for these workstations, but you can't overclock that one.  Take a look at their results on the E5-1680 v2 processors.

Your processor can run at 1866 if it has 1866 memory to work with but you have 1600 memory so your processor can only run at 1600.  You already own 4 16GB sticks of that so likely want to keep that investment and accept the bit slower performance.  If you were to choose to move to a 1866 processor you should bet 1866 memory.

You can add 4 more sticks of matching memory at about 25-30.00 USD each used off eBay.  HP says you can add their certified memory from different vendors (so you'd want to search for that HP part number you listed).  Vendors with the HP holographic sticker for matching your Samsung would include Micron/Elpida/SKHynix.  Ideally I like to stick with one vendor for all 8 sticks, with the same HP part number.  Much of the info on memory for the Z620 easily found is for the v1 processors/workstations.  Use the search bar for this forum to find more up to date info, and you will need to work at it a bit.

If you shifted to 1866 16GB sticks of memory I'd recommend Micron MT36JSF2G72PZ-1G9E1HE, and I have used that specific memory from HP/Dell/IBM retired 1866 servers in Z620/Z420 workstations.   Expect to pay about 30/stick for that.

More memory means more need for cooling.  Make sure you have one of the memory coolers that came with most of the better single processor Z620 workstation builds.... it straddles over the processor with small fans for each of the two memory banks located to the front and rear of the processor.  Make sure to also have one of the front lower chassis fans in its black plastic fan holder.  Adding a second processor with a riser mini-motherboard is probably significantly more hassle and cost than it is worth.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

What is the boot block date of your Z620, from BIOS?  What BIOS version do you have?  Can you pull out one stick and post a picture of its labels?   What processor are you running in that?  Or, is that a two processor version?

HP Recommended

Thank you for trying to help me.

Single CPU: E5-2670 V2, no CPU riser board.

Bios version: J61 V03.96
Boot Block Date: 03/06/2013

Memory:
SAMSUNG 16GB 2Rx4 PC3-12800R-11-11-E2-D3
PN: 672612-081

Windows 10x64

HP Recommended

You probably already know some of this:

You have a version 2 Z620 with the later boot block date, and the capability to run the "v2" processors that HP certified for those workstations.  You have one of those already, the E5-2670 v2.  It is rated to run at the fastest FSB speed that workstation can, 1866 MHz.  It also can slow down to match presence of slower memory if need be (as in your case).  There is only one version of that processor, with sSpec code SR1A7, so you could add a second processor if you bought the riser that allows that.  That processor has 2 "QPI links" so the workstation can run with one or two of those processors.  Not all Z620 workstations came with dual QPI link processors so those can not run a second matching processor unless one started over.

Many of us run only one processor in our Z620 workstations, intentionally.  Bambi and Brian here have posted in detail on how to optimize and even overclock some of the HP certified processors for these workstations, but you can't overclock that one.  Take a look at their results on the E5-1680 v2 processors.

Your processor can run at 1866 if it has 1866 memory to work with but you have 1600 memory so your processor can only run at 1600.  You already own 4 16GB sticks of that so likely want to keep that investment and accept the bit slower performance.  If you were to choose to move to a 1866 processor you should bet 1866 memory.

You can add 4 more sticks of matching memory at about 25-30.00 USD each used off eBay.  HP says you can add their certified memory from different vendors (so you'd want to search for that HP part number you listed).  Vendors with the HP holographic sticker for matching your Samsung would include Micron/Elpida/SKHynix.  Ideally I like to stick with one vendor for all 8 sticks, with the same HP part number.  Much of the info on memory for the Z620 easily found is for the v1 processors/workstations.  Use the search bar for this forum to find more up to date info, and you will need to work at it a bit.

If you shifted to 1866 16GB sticks of memory I'd recommend Micron MT36JSF2G72PZ-1G9E1HE, and I have used that specific memory from HP/Dell/IBM retired 1866 servers in Z620/Z420 workstations.   Expect to pay about 30/stick for that.

More memory means more need for cooling.  Make sure you have one of the memory coolers that came with most of the better single processor Z620 workstation builds.... it straddles over the processor with small fans for each of the two memory banks located to the front and rear of the processor.  Make sure to also have one of the front lower chassis fans in its black plastic fan holder.  Adding a second processor with a riser mini-motherboard is probably significantly more hassle and cost than it is worth.

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for the thorough explanation and for your time and effort invested in that reply.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.