Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z620
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have a Z620 workstation and the key for a Windows 7 Pro operating system, and when I put my key in it says that the code was pre installed by the device manufactuer and I can't download it. Any solutions? Or where can I find an ISO image.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/67-microsoft-windows-iso-download-tool

HP Recommended

windows 7 ( and 10) comes in several diffrent versions and types

Version:

windows home,professional, OEM all take diffrent keys

Type:

windows retail, OEM, and enterprise, again take diffrent keys

your key must match to the version and type of windows you have

HP shipped win 7 PROFESSIONAL/OEM, and this HP OEM includes the nessary files to self activate

using a Dell/lenovo or a "generic" OEM copy of windows will not self activate

using a retail key with a OEM copy of windows will not work (key is rejected) the same is true in reverse

HP Recommended

the problem is, the harddrive was taken out as I bought it used. And the license key is clear on a sticker on the top of the desktop case. 

HP Recommended

you either need a HP version of windows 7 Professional (64 bit perfered)

or you need a copy of windows 7 professional  "OEM"

ebay has both types listed

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-HP-Windows-7-Pro-SP1-64Bit-OEM-OS-Restore-Recovery-DVD-Disc-650434-DN8/...

all you can download from the MS servers at this point in time is the retail version

note also that not all HP disks will work, some disks are model locked and will only install on specific systems

the link i provided SHOULD work on your z620, but you will still need z620 specific drivers installed from the HP site

HP Recommended

If your workstation came with Windows XP originally you don't have rights to a HP OEM COA W7Pro64 installer kit, nor if it came as a Linux build from HP.  If it originally came with HP OEM COA W7Pro64 or came with HP OEM COA W8.xPro64 those virtually always also came with "downgrade" rights to W7Pro64.

Most of the Z workstations, assuming they came with licensed for Windows had an extra separate non-OEM COA sticker also applied to the top of the case.  That is a 1-machine install sticker and it is a HP sticker but the install that results from its use is not a HP OEM COA type.  You can't clone it and load it on a same-type other HP Z620 workstation without feeding that new workstation another sticker code..  Each of those sticker codes will get locked to the individual workstation you use it on if you do a clean install, and those need to be internet activated.  In contrast the HP OEM COA installs self-activate even without internet access.  They are built to probe the workstation's BIOS and confirm that they are licensed properly that way..

The good news is that you can call HP and if you have all outside case labels info available they can figure out if you have rights to receive a W7Pro64 HP OEM COA install kit.  Take a pic of each so you have them handy when talking to the HP rep.  For a low cost they can send that out to you.  From that kit your install can be imaged and cloned over to other same-type Z workstations.  That is of great vlaue to those who need it.... both to have a HP factory quality image ready to go for disaster recovery, or if they have multiple workstations to load from one gold standard build

I have a number of these DVD kits...... the older Z620 version 1 era kits will still work on a newer Z620 version 2 workstation, and vice versa.  These kits also usually cover more than one workstation.  For example, same kit for a Z420/Z620/Z820.  The newer kits are nicer both in terms of interface and maturity of drivers present.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.