Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z620
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi guys,

Just changed thermal paste and blown the dust in my Z620.

With BIOS Idle FAN set to 0 / 5, I get this idle temps.

Is it a bit too high 47-50 @ IDLE ?

temp.PNG

This is a comparison in full-load 100%  before (GC-Extreme 2years+) and after (Phobya HeGrease Extreme) TIM replacement. 

Differences are visible in full load. But the Idle scares me.

Should I add 1 step for BIOS Idle FAN 1 / 5  ?

Before After temperaturi.PNG

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Mentions: I did read @BambiBoomZ  problem with faulty sensor reading (because of OS updates), did read the Z620 Manual and Quickspecs and some other forum threads. 

Found out that workstations are ok with running these 44-60 degrees Celsius @ IDLE  ... but I am not relaxed with it.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Since your running in a dual CPU configuration in your Z620, (and you don't have the space to fit them), you can't use the Z420 liquid coolers, or larger 4 heatpipe HP CPU coolers. These are known to work rather well in single CPU Z620 systems. I'm guessing you are kind of stuck with the stock HP 3 heatpipe CPU coolers, (if you don't want to mod).

Personally, I recommend Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut thermal paste, it has a thermal conductivity of 12.5W/mK, compared to 8.5W/mK (e.g. both GC-Extreme and Phobya). As for pricing;

GC-Extreme - £9.99/3.5g

Phobya HeGrease Extreme - £3.75/3.5g

Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut - £5.99/1g

Yes, a little more expensive, but 1g will easily cover 2 CPU's. I prefer to thinly spread the paste across the CPU before mounting the heatsink. 

I would also suggest that if your are using any high end GPU(s), consider removing any remaining PCI slot cover blanks to help the GPU breathe and stay cooler. In general, focusing on improving air flow through the chassis.

HP Z620 - Liquid Cooled E5-1680v2 @4.7GHz / 64GB Hynix PC3-14900R 1866MHz / GTX1080Ti FE 11GB / Quadro P2000 5GB / Samsung 256GB PCIe M.2 256GB AHCI / Passmark 9.0 Rating = 7147 / CPU 17461 / 2D 1019 / 3D 14464 / Mem 3153 / Disk 15451 / Single Threaded 2551
HP Recommended

1.Yes I am stuck with stock coolers which I ain't going to change them. I love the stock PRO design and modularity of Z620.

2. The backside GPU blanks is a good tip, thanks. I guess the dust is going in that way, so there should be no dust problems.

I did add 1 out of 5 levels in Bios  IDLE FAN .   |**** 

The temps got lower with 5 to 6 degrees, which is now closer to 40, which is now better for my psychique.

temp idle 1 din 5.PNG

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.