Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z640 workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My Z640 workstation has been a solid performer but, recently it developed a non-recoverable SSD "hard drive" fault that took out the Windows 10 PRO operating system.  I am having trouble recovering it so, I'm guessing I am overlooking something simple or obvious.  Here's what I have done and tried:

First I removed the SSD (Turbo ZBoost? 256Gb) which let the workstation partially boot.   It does not see the two storage drives attached to the Realtek controller.

I tried a Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb SSD on a card but, that was a fail and not totally unexpected as I don't think the BIOS supports those drives.

Then I tried an older HP branded (Promise) SATA 150 controller with a Western Digital hard drive.  This would not allow the computer to boot and appears to hang up before the BIOS has a chance to send POST error codes.

With neither PCI card installed, the system will load the Windows Setup from a USB thumb drive but, it does not see the hard drive I have installed in the Realtek controller (just one drive so, no RAID).  Do I need to install a driver here?

With the thumb drive removed, it boots normally and complains that no "System disk" is installed so it obviously sees the one hard drive I have installed in the Realtek controller by saying it isn't a system drive.

Do I need some driver I can't find on HP.com to load the Realtek driver during Windows installation?  Or, do I need a different PCI card with SATA to get an installation drive for Windows?

Thanks!

Sid

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

use the official HP recovery image (be sure to get the image with embedded drivers) this will require a 16GB usb key

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05115630

to get the samsung 1TB drive to boot, install drive enter bios and make sure this drive/ssd is the topmost device in the boot list above the  zturbo drive entry

the z640 has full nvme boot support and large capacity (over 3GB) drive support when using win x64 10 in GPT mode

HP Recommended

Thanks!  I totally missed the HP Recovery web page!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.