Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP z620 workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am having issues with the heatsink fan on my z620 rattling, and I have read online that the z640 heatsink fits - and is better than - the z620 one. If I'm buying a new heatsink anyway should I get the 640 one? I guess I can't just mount any LGA 2011 socket cooler since the plastic blocker goes past the socket and blocks most coolers so I'd have to use a HP one.

Thanks in advance! 

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

New Z640  coolers are in the USD 75 range on ebay.  The 620 cooler is half of that and there are a lot more available.

Do not get a refurbished unit.  It will have new coolant paste but the fan will be old.

If you can obtain the fan part number or better, post a picture of the part with the ID then I MAY be able to find an OEM fan that fits exactly and had the 5 wire with jumper connector.

On my Z400 workstation, I used a Corsair liquid cooler and jumped the 5th pin to ground to fool the bios into letting it boot.  However, I had an ATX case so I had plenty of room for the mod.

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
HP Recommended

Thanks!

HP Z620 Workstation Genuine Desktop CPU Cooling Heatsink w/ Fan 647287-001 | eBay

This exact one... 

What is that 5th pin used for though, I believe my cooler has one of those. (For mainboard, the riser card one still works)

HP Recommended

OPS!

I edited my reply before I saw your post.

The 5th pin is a jumper to ground to identify the fan as the proper one to use.

This prevents putting a 3 or 4 pin fan replacement on

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
HP Recommended

Beemer... I don't know what eBay you use but when I go to the US eBay and search for 749554-001 (the double cooling capacity heatsink that works perfectly for the single processor Z420/Z620 workstations in addition to the Z440/Z640 workstations) I and filter for price and shipping lowest I see the first 20 all under $20.00 USD.  The fans last a very long time... I've been using these previously used bigger better heatsinks and have never had a problem.  All of our Z420 Z620 single processor build workstations now use them.

The header for the processor fan on the motherboard for a Z420/Z620 has 5 pins... just use the first 5 pin holes on the plug end from the heatsink's fan.  There will be one extra hole in that white plug end, 6 total.  Just hang that off the end of the header... it sticks out 1/8", no problem.

To the OP I have no idea what you mean by the "plastic blocker".  Are you meaning the black plastic active memory cooler which acts as a saddle that sits over the top of the single processor's heatsink/fan and has two side cooling fans for the front and back memory banks?  If so the double cooling capacity 749554-001 heatsink/fan fit perfectly under that with two Post-It note thickness space between to spare.  For double the cooling capacity and 15-20 dollar cost who would not want that?

HP Recommended

Sorry lol yes by plastic blocker I mean the memory cooler, didn't know what else to call it

Thanks for the recommendation of  749554-001 I will pick up one of those! Looks good. Also yeah I was confused by those ebay prices too since I was finding that stuff for like $20 as well

HP Recommended

Happy to help, and if you need any more just let me know.  Yes, there is no official name for that so I call it a black plastic cooling saddle!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.