cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Armond
2 0 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Z8 G4: Is it possible to first purchase with only one CPU and later upgrade with a second CPU ?

HP Recommended
Z8 G4

A sales representative from HP has warned me to purchase a Z8 G4 with only one single CPU. He told me that

1.) i have to throw away all my memory in that case and then replace it by memory suitable for dual CPU usage.

2.) Upgrading to a second CPU won't work anyways because... (original citation):

"die alle zusätlichen mit die 2. Prozesor vebundenen Ports werden nicht aktive."

I have dificulties to understand this sentence even. the best translation i could come along with is something along the line:

"The additional ports that are connected to the second processor won't become active when you try to upgrade a second cpu"

But what does that mean? Can i get some clarification please? Basically it boils down to the simple 2 questions:

1.) Can i upgrade a Z8 G4 that was originally purchased with just one CPU by adding a second CPU of the same type?

2.) Do i have to throw my existing memory away in that case or can i keep the existing memory and just add more as needed?

Apologize if those are stupid questions. But they only came to my mind after HP told me that this are in fact things to care about even when i do not understand the reasons behind all of that.

thanks for any reply.

Tags (1)
2 REPLIES 2
karim_me
Level 3
Level 3
40 40 1 5
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello, 

1.) Can i upgrade a Z8 G4 that was originally purchased with just one CPU by adding a second CPU of the same type?

Yes, all hp z8 g4 are available as optional kit, so you can buy a second cpu who should be the same as the first one.

I am not sure if the cpu kit contain also the cooling system or this one should be shipped separately.

2.) Do i have to throw my existing memory away in that case or can i keep the existing memory and just add more as needed

you can keep your existing memory : for example if you have 4 memories, you can keep two on cpu0 and install the two other on the second cpu.

you can also keep your existing memory and add the same size on the second cpu.

Note : if your memories is registred, when you will add memories you need to add registred memories.

if your memory is Load reduced , when you will add memories you need to add load reduced memories.

Best Regards

0 Kudos
DGroves
Level 11
4,491 4,474 408 937
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

the HP cpu upgrade kit does contain a  cpu cooler along with the cpu

i would check the current pricing as sometimes it's much, much cheaper to order the  second cpu with the system rather than as a seperate upgrade at a leter date

this workstation is diffrent than most in that it's pci-e slots change depending on if one or two cpu are installed,

note that with only one cpu,  pci-e slot 3 is not active!!

Slot 1: PCIe Gen3 x4 - Transforms to PCIe Gen3 x8 when 2nd CPU is installed

Slot 2: PCIe Gen3 x16 Slot 3: PCIe Gen3 x16 - Available ONLY when 2nd processor is installed

http://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=c05527763

https://content.etilize.com/User-Manual/1045332005.pdf

the system contains 24 RAM slots that allow you to insert up to 3 terabytes of memory

the type of memory depends on the amount of memory that is installed, if using more than 768GB, you must use

"Load Reduced" modules which are designed diffrently than the normal ECC/Registered ones that most people have seen/used

PC4-21300 - 3 TB Load-Reduced - ECC
PC4-21300 - 768 GB registered - ECC

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation