Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z8 G4 RCTO Base Model Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently got a Z8 G4 workstation and while running a hardware diagnostic, the Intel Ethernet Connection X722 rom test failed. I tried running it different times, and sometimes it passes sometimes fails. Under device manager it says that it's not using any resources because it has a problem, in the meantime the internet and LAN work fine when I use the port. 

Can someone explain what's going on?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @Ermalkoci,

Welcome to HP Support Community.  

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you. 

If the Intel Ethernet Connection X722 ROM test failed during a hardware diagnostic on your Z8 G4 workstation, it could indicate a problem with the network adapter or the firmware installed on it. Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot the issue.

• Update the firmware: Check for any firmware updates for the network adapter on the HP support website and install them. Sometimes, a firmware update can resolve issues with the network adapter.
  • Check the cable and port: Make sure the Ethernet cable is securely connected to both the network adapter and the router or switch. Try using a different cable or port on the router or switch.
  • Reinstall the network adapter driver: Go to the Device Manager, find the Intel Ethernet Connection X722 network adapter, right-click it, and select "Uninstall device." After that, restart your computer and let Windows automatically reinstall the driver.

I hope these steps help you resolve the issue with the Intel Ethernet Connection X722 ROM test failing on your Z8 G4 workstation.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4
HP Support

I am an HP Employee.
HP Recommended

So this is what happened. 

After doing a lot of research online trying to find a solution to the network problem, I ran into Intel DSA (Driver Support & Assistant) and since this is an Intel adapter, I decided to give it a try. 

It has an automatic online driver check and detected Intel Chipset Driver was missing for some reason. I had already installed that driver from HP's Hardware Diagnostics tool, but since this was Intel's own driver check, I thought it would be ok to install this one too. And here is where things got messed up even more. 

Before this, all the software on my pc were running fine, with NUMA enabled on BIOS, now NUMA was automatically disabled, and if I re-enabled it, my software run at aprox. 10-20 % decreased performance. I know this because the sofware I use has a built in benchmark tool. Also the CPU temperatures are not stable at all sometimes spiking at 60+ degrees C, with normal usage. Especially CPU 1. I tried rolling back the BIOS, updating the BIOS again, re-installing Windows, Updating Windows. Nothing works. Is there any way to fix this? At this point I don't really care about the network card as much, I just want the rest of the system to be back as it was. 

HP Recommended

Hi @Ermalkoci,

Thank you for your response, 

Please help us with the laptop serial number or the product number on a private message for further assistance.

Here is the link to find the product number:- Click here

Alden4
HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
HP Recommended

I'm sorry I'm new to the forum. How do I send a private message?

HP Recommended

HI @Ermalkoci,

Thank you for your response, 

In order to access your private messages, click the private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Support Community profile, next to your profile Name.

Take care and have a good day. 

Alden4
HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.