Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z800 with Xenon 5670
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I upgraded my HP Z800 Workstation (FF825AV) with matching CPU Xenon X5670, replaced 18 GB memory, (6 x 3GB) with 48GB, (12 x 4 GB), each CPU 24 GB. Have upgraded BIOS per HP installation instruction and I have BIOS version v03.61, the Boot Block Date is 11/10/09. After installation, the computer failed to boot no beep sound, but a few second after starting the fans go full bore other than that I get blank screen.

I have tried each CPU separately and work fine as a single CPU but when both are installed it don't boot.

I will thank any help that I can get.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

there is a small white sticker on the motherboard near the cmos reset button/large black heatsink  does it say  AS#xxxxxxx-003

HP Recommended

Yes, it does have that number. What do I do to make it work?

Thank you

HP Recommended

are these retail or ES/QL sample cpu's

if each cpu works in socket 0 and neither works in socket 1 and if RETAIL cpu's then you most likely have a bad motherboard

the only other test you can try is to get 2 of the cheapest 56 series cpu's and try them to see if it is indeed the motherboard

HP Recommended

Yes they were retail CPUs, thank you so much for taking your time to help; greatly appreciate it, I had a hunch something must be wrong with the motherboard since it did not work when I split the 6 sticks of 3 GB memory providing 9 GB for each CPU. I wasted $80 buying 48 GB memory assuming it  would work on even rather odd mem configuration. I will think about getting another motherboard, the additional CPU fan (new), the matching processors and memory cost me $300, I would have been better off to buy used one for some $500.

HP Recommended

the z800 unlike other systems uses TRIPLE channel memory and is populated in groups of three (not 2 or 4)

please look at the memory load order found on the side cover or at the link below

http://h20331.www2.hp.com/Hpsub/downloads/Mini_WP_Z800_memory.pdf

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.