16 12 1 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

Z800 RAID5 Status - VERIFY

HP Recommended
HP Z800 mk1 motherboard
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, hope someone can help - please

I built a Z800 system from bits on e-bay last year and successfully installed windows 10

I downloaded all the latest drivers and built a RAID5 array fron 4 x 1.5G disks, plus an SSD for system disk

All has worked fine until now.

Noticed that array was running very slow - so checked boot up messages - Array status VERIFY in yellow.

Moved all my date onto a USB disk, so array is now empty.

Cannot find any way to check/test integrity of array 😞

Installed the older version of the Intel driver - 13.6.2.1001 in desperation

Rebooted the machine and BIOS now reports NORMAL

Have run disk utilities and no problems found

What is going on ?

Is there any way of monitoring the array status etc from within windows and verifying it ?

Please, thanks

6 REPLIES 6
DGroves
Level 11
4,481 4,464 406 933
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

raid verify, is just what it sounds like. the array is verifying the data/file system due to a found error

if you want to know when/what the error is then read the log files that are generated by the RST driver

type from a cmd prompt:      dir /s %SystemDrive%\Driver_allOS\MEI\Drivers\MEI\INTERNAL\*.log

or use the RST console (if installed) to view the error log

the z800 raid controller does not have a cpu/ram like a dedicated raid controller does as such it uses the cpu on the motherboard for raid functions, and the array will be much, much slower while doing a verify .even a dedicated raid controller will slow down during a verify/rebuild although not as much

0 Kudos
Snowey9
Author
Level 2
16 12 1 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply

From your reply I take it that VERIFY means the system is VERIFYING the array, not that it needs to be VERIFYED.

Sorry, but the array controllers I have seen in the past had to have operations manually instigated. I guess this means that all recovery operations are automatic.

I have now reinstalled "Intel_RST_RAID_driver_x64_14.5.0.1081"
Status is NORMAL

I have enteres the string you quote at a cmd prompt and get - directory not found. I can't find the path manualy either 😞

RST console - I assume this is a Windows 10 interface to the Intel driver, how do I get it please ?

thanks

0 Kudos
DGroves
Level 11
4,481 4,464 406 933
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

the absolute latest revision of the RST driver that still has support for the z800 chipset is the "Intel RST 12.9.0.1001"

any later revision will install, but will not work right, and the command console feature set will not allow proper options to be set

you can download this from the link below:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23538/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-AHCI-for-Windows-7-8-...

this is the windows package you run from within the OS:  STOR_Win7_8_8.1_12.9.0.1001.exe

STOR_Win7_8_8.1_12.9.0.1001_f6flpy-x64.zip is thedriver  files you use during windows install (f7 method)

install the setup and enable the writeback cache if you have a ups connected to the z800, it will increase the speed of the array

the cmd string is what i use under win 7 to read the logs, i have not used it under win 10 so parse the string and manually cd to that directory to read the log files

0 Kudos
DGroves
Level 11
4,481 4,464 406 933
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

the command is all one line, the previous post listing the line was split by the forum somehow

dir /s %SystemDrive%\Driver_allOS\MEI\Drivers\MEI\INTERNAL\*.log

0 Kudos
Snowey9
Author
Level 2
16 12 1 0
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply

This directory structure does not exist on my system and searches for the individual components come up with no matches.

I have searched all the Windows logs and found nothing.

But I have had a lot of troubleI. I tried installing the driver package you indicated but Windows refused to install it, just telling me I had the most suitable driver and refusing to do anything else.

So, I thought I would beat it by uninstalling the existing driver completely, I have a separate SSD for the system drive.

Windows then refused to boot and numerous attempts at repair failed. In the end I restored a previous restore point and things returned to normal - mad, but I suppose that's typical of Microsoft.

I have tested my array with a speed checker and diagnostics and everything seems ok. It is running at around 120MB/sec read and write so seems good. I will just have to keep an eye on it more carefully in future.

Thanks for your help

0 Kudos
DGroves
Level 11
4,481 4,464 406 933
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

check your control panel, do you show a RST icon?

check your task bar (press ^ to show hidden icons) do you show a RST icon?

check add/remove programs do you show a intel RST entry?

if you ran a intel RST setup package YOU WILL HAVE A RST ICON IN ONE OF THOSE PLACES.

the intel rst setup will also prompt you when there exists a existing rst installed, and asks if you want to overwrite and update/downgrade the RST

i have updated/downgraded the intel RST packages on my z800 under win 7 and also under win 10 without any problems

where did you get the existing RST package you are now using and what is the full filename of it

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation