Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Example:czc133yv7
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)
Tell me please. Where in Bios to disconnect / connect USB devices. HP does not see my card reader. 
He has already done everything possible, could not. My English is bad, maybe something is wrong in the BIOS.
 Maybe there is a video instruction on how to do this. I will be glad to any help.
 Thank . Sincerely, Alexander Bolotin.
2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

I use a method that requires use of a PS2 keyboard and mouse inserted and working before proceeding.  Pull out USB mouse and keyboard and the USB card reader also, when computer is off, and replace with the PS2 versions of the mouse and keyboard, and then boot up.... your access into the workstation will continue through the process this way.  

Then navigate to Device Manager, and down to USB Controllers at the bottom, and then go to each USB Root Hub sequentially and choose Uninstall for each.  You don't need to restart after each USB Root Hub uninstall.  Ideally you will have no USB device attached to any USB port when you do this.  I had 8 USB Root Hub ports when I just checked.....

Now shut down fully.  Then boot up (still using PS2 keyboard/mouse).  Give the workstation some time to stabilize.  Shut down fully again, plug in your card reader, into a specific USB port you will use for that purpose only, and make a note of what port that is so you only use it on that single port in the future.  Boot up.  Card reader should be recognized and drivers should load from the Windows archive on your boot drive.  These generally do not need special drivers.  Test it a bit.  Shut down.  Replace the PS2 keyboard/mouse with USB keyboard/mouse if you wish.

This technique has solved many a USB issue here over the years.

HP Recommended

I'm sure some of the steps in the post above are excessive, but because it works in the end I've stuck with not trying to make it different.  Later HP workstations have given more control over individual ports.  It is possible to turn off blocks of USB ports in the ZX00 generation of workstations.  You navigate into BIOS via F10, go over to the Security tab, then down to Device Security.  In there are three USB sets.... Front, Rear, and Internal.  You can turn off any or all of those three sets, and they become invisible to the operating system.

I doubt that is your problem, or that your BIOS is bad.  We use 3.61, the latest.  There has been a HP USB issue that got fixed with a BIOS update a long time ago, however.  In my experience BIOS problems almost always are problems on the level of the operating system/drivers.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.