Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Z800
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi guys,

I have a V2 z800 (as depicted by the -003 revision on my motherboard under the black heatisnk on the board) And i have attempted to upgrade the CPU's with 2 x X5675's. 

However i get the classic, fans on, black screen no beeps. The Z800 suspiciously had E5530's in it prior to the upgrade. Can anyone advise whether this machine should take the CPU's. I'll be swapping the old CPU's back in a mo and checking the bootblock date and trying the new CPU's in another Z800 to test there working . But is there anything else that could be stopping these booting up? Is there a minimum BIOS i should be running for 56xx cpu's? I believe i'm running 3.61.... Latest?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Kind of you, my friend.  We finally figured this out.... years late!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

bios 3.61 is fine

do you have the upgraded power supply? the stock supply cannot reliably power dual 130 watt cpu's you need the optional 1115 watt supply (this is per HP)

WHAT IS THE SPEC CODE FOR YOUR CPU'S?

while the z800 v2 boards were never certified by HP for the 5675's in their quickspecs the system will run them fine as long as they are not "ES"/"QS" spec (SLBYL is the preferred spec)

have you upgraded the heatsinks from the low power (65 watt) to the 130 watt ones? these heatsinks are hard to find and expensive but are required!!

i would power off the system remove the pwr cord, press pwr button for 10 sec then open case and remove cmos batt for 10 sec, then reinstall batt and just to be sure press the cmos reset button for 5 sec, then power on system

note that the first power on after a cpu or power supply change can take up to 90 sec before a video display appears

HP Recommended

@DGroves

Hi buddy.

Yup upgraded PSU.

Spec codes are both SLBYL

Not upgraded the heatsinks but the standard ones are 95w parts and the X5675 is a 95w CPU so should be fine.

Also did this:

i would power off the system remove the pwr cord, press pwr button for 10 sec then open case and remove cmos batt for 10 sec, then reinstall batt and just to be sure press the cmos reset button for 5 sec, then power on system

I do it as standard with all my CPU swaps to remove any old cached crap.

I'm sure i gave it around 2mins but i'll try that again. Are we sure that ANY Z800 RUNNING -003 revision on the board should be able to take the 56xx series or are there known exceptions?

HP Recommended

Perhaps you in the current state cannot provide this information:

What is your boot block date from BIOS?  Look under the first column if you can get to that.

Are you sure you are running the most recent BIOS?  3.61 indeed is the latest.  Again, maybe you can't see this in your condition, but it is an important issue...

It is a classic move to install processor(s) that your current BIOS does not know about... always update to the latest BIOS version before installing the latest processor(s).  Don't ask how I know... more than once.

In my experience a bad processor is possible, and bent processor socket pins is also an issue to look for with a careful hand and a bright flashlight.

As DGroves points out you never, ever want to try to run a qualification sample processor in a production HP workstation.  The sSpec code laser etched on the top stainless cover of each processor should only state SLBYL... there was no second earlier production sSpec code processor.  Some other processor versions had two, very few had three, this one only had one.

HP Recommended

The last Z800 v2 QuickSpecs I have is an archive copy of v56, which includes the E5-5675 as an approved HP processor.  A copy is attached below, with that processor highlighted in the PDF, page 3.

Here's a v55 copy also, also showing that as an approved processor.  You need the later QuickSpec versions to see the later HP approved processor versions.

https://zworkstations.com/site/assets/files/6661/hp-z800-datasheet.pdf

HP Recommended

This all can get confusing...

Carefully take a look at your central motherboad bar code sticker.  Here is the decoder ring for what you should be seeing to differentiate the three v1 Z800 motherboards from the single v2 Z800 motherboard:

Z800 4 motherboards.jpg

HP Recommended

What gets you a v2 Z800 motherboard:

What gets you a Z800 v2 motherboard.jpg

HP Recommended

"SDH" has posted Just about the most concise and informative posts on the z800 v1/v2 issue i've ever read,... which i will be archiving even though i just sold my last z800 on ebay

HP Recommended

Kind of you, my friend.  We finally figured this out.... years late!

HP Recommended

Thanks for posting the PCB revision explanation, it'll be really useful for others. Yes my board is indeed a v2 and identical to the other 4 Z800's that i've just upgraded. Which is why it was puzzling me so much.

However, i left it unplugged from the wall last night, Replaced the CMOS battery for a new one i had lying about, discharged the Z800 via the power button. And waited for around 2 minutes and this morning it did indeed boot with both X5675's. So that's good news! I think the RAM, GPU and CPU's update and the non-esd safe vacuum was all too much for the workstation in one go.

Thanks for the sanity checks - It's appreciated.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.